What's new

Apple rant by an Apple fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyS

He's right, but the biggest shortcoming of the iPad Pro is that it's still just an iPad; meaning running iOS, an iPhone with a big screen.

BTW, just to see I opened and edited a Word document and a PowerPoint presentation and played a 1080 video in Media Player all while that YouTube video ran without the slightest slow down or hiccup... on my SP3.

That's weird, I just did the same thing on the iPad Pro with no performance issues either.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1450220000.815227.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1450220000.815227.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 610

jrioux

That's weird, I just did the same thing on the iPad Pro with no performance issues either.
Can you actually "run" or "operate" three programs (Word, PowerPoint and a video) plus watch Youtube at one time on the iPP? I thought it's so-called "multitasking" was limited to two things?

I'm not 100% sure how you would work on word, powerpoint and video and youtube all at the same time, but thats a separate issue, Apparently some people's multi-tasking skills are better than mine because I can only type in one place at any given time.

But on to what you asked, apparently video via picture in picture isn't considered one of the 2 things when it comes to multitasking, much the same as you can play music in the background while you worked on two apps. You could also share the video out to an Apple TV so you can watch a movie on TV while you are working on both documents, but with the Picture in Picture function, it does seem like it will do 3 things at the same time which is handy for streaming sport while you are doing work. The video plays while you work on the two documents, if the App supports picture in picture. The Youtube app doesn't support it currently (an app issue) but third party players for youtube do, including web based video. I paused the video in the picture so you could see the controls and see it was a video rather than a screenshot pasted into the powerpoint but it happily played while both were running with no stuttering or performance issues. You can move the PIP around the screen if it gets in the way.

ScottyS

I'm talking about running a 1080 video at 1080 (not in a P-n-P little window) and a YouTube video and typing in Work and having several other windows open on the desktop; this is not something one can do on an iPad.

First off, that wasn't what you said, you said play a 1080p video, not play a video at 1080p, but I'm confused...

The SP3 resolution is 2160 x 1440

A 1080P video is 1920x1080. So you're apparently using 1080P to run your 1080P video and you're using 240 x 360 to work on your Powerpoint and Word. That makes a whole lot of sense. Unless of course you're running video in the background (which is largely pointless). If you told me your were running it on a second screen (which will probably be your next excuse), that would be fair enough, but I can airplay to a separate display and still run the 2 applications in parallel while sending video to a separate display so it's the same. That said, if I am somewhere with a second screen, I'd being using a much more powerful machine than SP3, SP4 or iPad Pro so the argument of second screen essentially kills the benefit of tablet argument.

Now, if you don't have a separate display, you're stuck with having a whole heap of apps that constantly go over the video window which is also largely annoying and useless, so my guess at this point is that your original argument is partially mute because both options have pros and cons, and right now, I can still work on two apps and play video on a single screen with less headaches than you can.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That said, if I am somewhere with a second screen, I'd being using a much more powerful machine than SP3, SP4 or iPad Pro so the argument of second screen essentially kills the benefit of tablet argument.

I can still work on two apps and play video on a single screen with less headaches than you can.

Not sure how you've arrived at either of those arguments. My SP4 works absolutely fantastic as a tablet while all of my research and text is sat on my second screen. Why would i need a more powerful computer?

And i run multiple programs on my Sp4 screen without an issue. What headaches are you talking about?

Because some people need something more powerful than a dual core. Whether you can do something on a machine, and whether you would want to are two different things. For example, you could edit video on a SP4, but if you had a more powerful machine, why would you want to?

The point of my statement earlier was that he was making a statement without ever having touched the device assuming it couldn't do something which it could do which seems to be the way most people work here. The iPad pro has a more powerful graphics card than the SP3 or SP4 so going on about 1080p video is actually playing to its strengths b

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
To each there own.

I would still love to learn what these headaches are that you alude to, which make the iPad a better device for multitasking.

Status
Not open for further replies.