What's new

Apple Watch to last only 2.5 hours

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apple Watch to last only 2.5 hours with heavy use.

Sorry that will be DOA!

http://gizmodo.com/report-the-apple-watch-will-only-last-2-5-hours-with-1681192358

According to a new report from 9 to 5 Mac, the Apple Watch the battery is looking at just 2.5 to 4 hours of "active application use" before it dies

"Apple expects to see better battery life when using the Watch's fitness tracking software, which is targeted for nearly 4 hours of straight exercise tracking on a single charge. "
----------

I can get several workouts out of battery eating Garmin. From the sounds of it based on early polling there will be millions of these things sitting in the drawer, never used. One and done.

Last edited:

daniielrp

2.5hours of active use sounds like plenty. This is a watch, not a smartphone, I'm not going to be playing games or using apps in the traditional sense. It'll be tiny bursts of 1, maybe 2 mins to check a notification or see the time, or issue a voice command for my phone to do something.

malberttoo

2.5hours of active use sounds like plenty. This is a watch, not a smartphone, I'm not going to be playing games or using apps in the traditional sense. It'll be tiny bursts of 1, maybe 2 mins to check a notification or see the time, or issue a voice command for my phone to do something.

I was thinking the same thing. With the watch only being on for a handful of seconds throughout the day, at first glance it would seem that a couple of hours runtime would do the job.

daniielrp

Also, that report shows Apple hope to get 19 hours of passive-active use - my day generally consists of me being out of the house (I never wear my watch at home) at the most 7am till latest 23:00, so 19hours will cover this just fine.

I just hope they make an awesome combined iPhone/Watch charging station so I can charge both on my bedside.

nnthemperor

Also, that report shows Apple hope to get 19 hours of passive-active use - my day generally consists of me being out of the house (I never wear my watch at home) at the most 7am till latest 23:00, so 19hours will cover this just fine.

I just hope they make an awesome combined iPhone/Watch charging station so I can charge both on my bedside.

Dude you're really trying to convince yourself to get this. You sound like you'd buy it even if it had 30mins of up time. Good luck!

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

The operative word there being HOPE. Later in the article ...
"while they were originally shooting for about 19 hours of "mixed usage," 9 to 5 Mac's sources say that Apple no longer thinks it can even hit that"​

But if less than 19 hours is good for you ... you obviously wont be using sleep health monitoring functions.

The wall-hugger commercials are going to be hilarious.
Hey, maybe there will be a wireless mattress pad charger. :D

daniielrp

The operative word there being HOPE. Later in the article ...
"while they were originally shooting for about 19 hours of "mixed usage," 9 to 5 Mac's sources say that Apple no longer thinks it can even hit that"​

But if less than 19 hours is good for you ... you obviously wont be using sleep health monitoring functions.

The wall-hugger commercials are going to be hilarious.
Hey, maybe there will be a wireless mattress pad charger. :D

I already use my 5s for sleep monitoring, so no I probably wouldn't use the watch for that (and also it may be a bit uncomfortable!). You do bring up a good point though, I would be interested in the sleep stuff if the watch provided more info than the phone, it'll be interesting to see how Apple possibly hope to achieve that on a 19hr life.

daniielrp

No hard feelings mate. Didn't mean bad. I just thought you sounded like me whenever I needed some new tech gadget. Nothing wrong with that. Cheers!

Well there is if it is a bit rubbish lol! I've been burned a couple times with 1st gen devices, but I'm hoping the Apple Watch may be a bit different...