What's new

Apps vs Programs

MAD

Hi There!

Picked up a i7 512GB a couple days a go. Been a long time Mac user but still require Windows every now and then and thought the SP3 was a pretty neat machine.

I haven't used Windows 8.1 before and have a question regarding Apps vs Programs. Just wondering if it is preferable to install software via the App Store if it is available vs installing the old way via the desktop? Obviously some software is not available via the App Store so that gets installed the old way.

A couple of apps that come to mind is VLC Player and Adobe Reader. Both are available via the App Store and I downloaded and installed both of these pieces of software the old way. I then uninstalled them via the control panel (Old Way) and reinstalled them via the App Store. But I did notice that they seem to be different version numbers not sure if that changes their functionality at all.

Is one way preferable to the other or is it basically accomplishing the same thing? Better user experience using software from the App Store or makes no difference? Less footprint / size installing apps from App Store?

Thanks In Advance For Your Replies!
MD

B

B'midbar

Equivalent functionality for VLC and Reader, just depends upon whether you'll mostly use the unit in MUI (touch) or Desktop (keyboard and mouse) mode. By and large, beyond specific software you may require for work, MUI apps on the store are a lot cheaper than traditional desktop ones. I actually like the OOTB 'Reader' MUI app for .PDFs better than I do Acrobat Reader.

nipponham

Some, (not all), metro apps are gimped versions of their desktop cousins. The benefit of metro apps are mostly to do with touch functionality and optimized to work with InstantGo, which will save battery consumption.

Liam2349

MUI apps (Windows Store) also scale better with high resolution screens than most desktop software. Office scales fine, but you will see crimes against humanity if you try to use Photoshop CS6.

OneNote is available in the store and for desktop, and the desktop version has many more features, however the store version is more touch friendly with the radial menu.

It depends on the app, but mostly - Windows Store apps are more power efficient, more touch friendly, and they scale better.

OP
M

MAD

So if you will be using the SP3 both ways metro / touch and desktop (keyboard & mouse) it would be best to install the software in both environments (App Store & Desktop / Old School Install) thus having 2 installs of the same program potentially? I assume you can do this.

Thanks Again!
MD

Kif

So if you will be using the SP3 both ways metro / touch and desktop (keyboard & mouse) it would be best to install the software in both environments (App Store & Desktop / Old School Install) thus having 2 installs of the same program potentially? I assume you can do this.

Thanks Again!
MD

A few programs work like that such as OneNote. Apps are geared for tablet use and work best there with superior touch support. The App store is a little bare so you've find the majority of goodies as traditional programs. I prefer using App's but I usually find myself in the desktop.

Since your coming from a Mac world this is where you'll see a philosophical difference between Apple and Microsoft. Apple has a do it our way mindset. Microsoft is more of an anything goes mindset.

nipponham

It all depends on how you want to use the program. Some, like a media player are fine with just basic functions that a metro app would suffice. Others, like a design tool, (especially if you use it for work), would require precise and comprehensive functionality that may not be available in a metro app, even if it were a paid-for version. And finally, for some apps, it would makes sense to have both versions. I use desktop MediaMonkey to tag and organize my music files while I use the metro version to browse, listen and consume.

And another thing: you can have a metro apps running in the background while working in desktop but it doesn’t work the other way around. Desktop apps will stop/pause while in metro.

Last edited:

ptrkhh

I would recommend starting with the MUI (RT/Windows Store) version first.

If that app satisfies you, great. The reason for MUI apps are simple, theyre generally more battery-friendly, touch-friendly, you don't need to close them, it cant drain the battery in the background, you know, like apps on an iOS. Concerning that the SP3 has Connected Standby (InstantGo) feature, where the tablet can go to sleep and still working, a desktop app might prevent Connected Standby to work properly, some of them are older than Connected Standby itself after all. Even worse is the transition from Connected Standby to Hibernate which is unique on the SP3, no x86 program developer can guarantee that their program is compatible with the transition unless they try it on the SP3, while MUI apps are guaranteed to be compatible.

If you find that the MUI version is too limiting, lacking features, then you could replace it with the x86 version, now its more 'serious' like on OS X.