What's new

Apps wanted

zhenya

The apps issue is one that is an important consideration for me, and I'm really disappointed with the progress that Microsoft has made in this area over the last couple of years. Emulation might be a nice add-on, but it's never going to substitute for real native apps that use all of the tie-ins available for the native platform and are designed to work on that specific platform.

I'm afraid that most developers both see the Microsoft app store as a limited market and are able to hide behind the 'our software already works in Windows' blanket (either through legacy programs or a web browser.) The reality however is that may again provide wide compatibility, but it's a poor experience for the user.

Microsoft really needs to throw their weight behind the app store and get big developers on board putting out real quality apps. The Surface Pro is only half finished without it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think its an issue of pop culture not just of sheer numbers. The current top 40, 100, 1000 Pop Apps list looks a lot different. We've never been in a world where the technical has routinely or consistently prevailed over the popular or better marketing.

Kif

Thank you for your thoughtful reply to my post. It's nice to see that many of these area's have been somewhat addressed by Microsoft. I guess in the end it's going to require a larger user base of people using and buying Windows Apps to really make a difference. It would be really nice to see the indie and homebrew offerings takeoff.

Visual Studio 2013 Express is already free

Microsoft DX (used to be DPE) does this at the country level already

Project Seana is already available
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/e...ct-siena/5ae47651-e8f3-4e41-aab7-e19ab1b80180

Microsoft App Store already takes the lowest cut in the industry....

This is already done through Red Stripe Deals

I don't have any frame of reference here

This is a problem, they have done clean ups but need more

MSN News Apps, Lync Mobile and OneNote as well as Dynamics....

They're doing this already with much of .NET

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for your thoughtful reply to my post. It's nice to see that many of these area's have been somewhat addressed by Microsoft. I guess in the end it's going to require a larger user base of people using and buying Windows Apps to really make a difference. It would be really nice to see the indie and homebrew offerings takeoff.
One of disconnects currently is the Windows 7 and XP Crowd (even those who may be using 8.x) are still a desktop app or nothing crowd and until they start reaching for MUI Apps it will stunt the market. There is hope on the Horizon though, we've seen a spat of new apps show up on Xbox One in the past couple of weeks:

BBC iPlayer (UK)
4OD (UK Channel 4 on Demand)
Deamnd5 (UK Channel 5 - this is already available on Windows 8.x)

And Pandora in the US....

These are easily ported to Windows 8.x or Windows 10 Universal...

Kif

I just found an interesting blog post on this subject.

http://blogs.windows.com/buildingap...loper-opportunity-with-windows-store-in-2015/

I especially like these three points:

1. Increased options for app discoveryIn the past few months we’ve updated the Windows Store UI, opened up Windows Store merchandising slots 55x, enhanced visibility for Collections and added a Deals Hub. We also increased investments in global and local advertising and promotion from Microsoft as well as in collaboration with our device maker and retail partners. We’ll also continue to invest in maintaining a high-quality user experience in 2015.
  2. Making our platform accessible to all skill levelsWindows App Studio Beta enabled those with great ideas but no development experience to bring their ideas to life. We will continue to enhance this toolset in 2015, integrating new capabilities like the recent addition of TouchDevelop.
  3. Getting more done in fewer stepsThis year we unified and simplified Windows Dev Center registration to a single lifetime registration accompanied by a unified set of policies. We added a new benefits program to provide resources and guidance and we also took the first step to add new capabilities such as the ability to respond to user reviews. We have much more work to do to simplify and unify the experience and you can expect the evolution to continue over the coming months.