What's new

April 9th SP Firmware Upgrade

souldier

I am loving the latest update. My wifi is blazing fast now. I have gotten up to 50-60mbps. My Bluetooth mouse problems are now gone. Before my Bluetooth mouse was sluggish, unresponsive and a pain to use. Now it is silky smooth as it should be. All my apps open up instantly now as well

kristalsoldier

For me it didn't remove the intel 4000 driver but HAS broken the trackpad setting metro app!

Anyone else?

Well, I have the RT so the Intel 4000 driver does not apply to be, but it certainly has broken the trackpad setting metro app. Quite irritating really since I was trying to use the typecover and wanted to disable the trackpad! I did try to (1) follow the instructions which begin by saying that "no trackpad is connected - attach a touch or a type cover" (which is attached). The it most helpfully suggests "make sure that you have the latest updates" (which I do) and it concludes by suggesting that I look for devices and printers and tap refresh three times (what is this? A pagan ritual?) and then to try the app again. Well, I did and it does not work!

Does MS actually test these updates before they issue them?

ccny00

I have also updated and my bluetooth devices reconnect right away, prior to the update, i needed to rediscover and reconnect the device! loving it!

with the display driver reverting after updated, you just have turn off automatic updating, search for updates again, and when the display driver appears, it should be a 22kb update, just hide it, then turn back on auto updates. works for me. =)

docangle

I noticed after the update the 'Trackpad Settings' App no longer recognizes the Touch/Type Cover. I am also still having in issue with the Sound Muting (randomly) when I first hit a key or scroll the Trackpad on the Touch Cover.

HD_Dude

The Intel HD4000 update remained intact after the MS firmware upgrade.

I see everything is faster. Especially the BT mouse. I complained about sluggish performance from the MS Wedge Mouse, but after the upgrade it sings.

Any chance this will somehow improve battery life?

Ruffles

I applied the firmware update last night and after a few quick tests, everything seemed fine (No fix for connecting to N networks). After I got home from work tonight, my Surface connected to my wifi but couldn't open any web pages. It was like the Limited Connectivity issue but I never got the error. This was also on my G network that had been working great. No matter how many times I tried connecting, it would start to transfer and then stop.

I didn't think there was a network adapter driver change for the pro in the firmware but I'd thought I'd open up the device manager and see if I could roll back. The roll back option was not available but instead, I noticed I now have a Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter. I don't remember that being there before. Looking at it's properties, it had an option to view events. That opened up the Event Viewer where I saw lots of errors from the DHCP Client and DNS errors. It seemed the network adapter was unable to get an IP address even though it showed one when running ipconfig from the command line. I put in a static IP and that fixed the problem and I was able to use my network again.

I'm a little concerned that it seems we're taking a step backward with WiFi but at least it's working again. Do the rest of you have the debug adapter? Was that part of the latest update? I wonder if it is for collecting data to help MS with debugging.

Patcar13

I would be very careful. I have a very non-standard display (Or should i say probably non tested not non-standard)setup..... hdmi to ACER touchscreen and usb to dell touchscreen. the acer now blinks dark for two seconds every 5 minutes or so. Any one know how to back off a rom update? The window recovery point does not do the rom only the windows software. :-(

mitchellvii

I would be very careful. I have a very non-standard display (Or should i say probably non tested not non-standard)setup..... hdmi to ACER touchscreen and usb to dell touchscreen. the acer now blinks dark for two seconds every 5 minutes or so. Any one know how to back off a rom update? The window recovery point does not do the rom only the windows software. :-(

Assuming your recovery partition is intact just do a full recovery back to scratch. However don't choose the full wipe option unless you don't need your computer for the next 12 hours.

Nuspieds

I have a Dell U3011 connected via USB to DP and a U3014 via DP to DP in Extended Desktop configuration.

The upgrade was flawless. After rebooting, everything looked perfect. The U3011 displayed my desktop image and the Taskbar also filled the entire screen. You'd never know that something was wrong...that is, until I either dragged or opened a window on the U3011 on the right third of the screen. Remember, the desktop image and Taskbar filled the entire screen flawlessly, but in the window area, the right third of the screen was truncated, leaving me with only 2/3 of the screen for app windows. Oddly, as well, the mouse did NOT disappear over the same region that the app windows would disappear.

Of course I tried rebooting, but that didn't work, so I eventually tried just uninstalling and reinstalling the DisplayLink driver and that solved the problem. So you might want to try to see if you can do something similar with your Acer.