What's new

Arc Touch Mouse vs Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition: What's the difference?

benjitek

They share the same annoying-to-use quality ;-) While better than the touchpad on the Touch/Type keyboards, they're not the best option for a mouse.

kristalsoldier

They share the same annoying-to-use quality ;-) While better than the touchpad on the Touch/Type keyboards, they're not the best option for a mouse.

Actually, I quite like the Arc Touch Couse (well, except for the pseudo scrolling sound). I have the USB version.

benjitek

Actually, I quite like the Arc Touch Couse (well, except for the pseudo scrolling sound). I have the USB version.
Glad you like it -- I wanted to, really. If I just needed basic mouse functionality, it might do -- it is a step up from the mousepad on my Type Cover keyboard. I find the light-tracking that's used isn't always accurate -- can be very annoying at times. On the top side, that flat scrolling area doesn't always work as expected, or I'm not quite doing the scrolling gesture in the right spot. It doesn't work on glass. I find I spend to much time >thinking< about the mouse instead of just using it -- it's fussy.

The soft touch material it's coated with is a lint/dust magnet -- something that becomes apparent after the first day of use. It's a clever design, I like the way it bends into shape -- it looks great, matches the aesthetics of the Surface Pro 2 -- but when it comes to mousing around, it fails -- at least for me.

I just got one today and I've gotta say this thing is flawless.

The design of it matches my SP2 perfectly, provokes the same kind of "hm what's that awesome thing" from passers-by, the same as my Surface itself. I love it's portability, it snaps right to flat and back again in a flick, and connects instantly.

The scroll pad works nicely, the haptic feedback is great, and the overall design is very comfortable to use. I love this thing, it's great.

Best of all? Unlike the standard model, the Surface Edition doesn't take up any USB ports, so I can free up my Surface for other peripherals.

kristalsoldier

I just got one today and I've gotta say this thing is flawless.

The design of it matches my SP2 perfectly, provokes the same kind of "hm what's that awesome thing" from passers-by, the same as my Surface itself. I love it's portability, it snaps right to flat and back again in a flick, and connects instantly.

The scroll pad works nicely, the haptic feedback is great, and the overall design is very comfortable to use. I love this thing, it's great.

Best of all? Unlike the standard model, the Surface Edition doesn't take up any USB ports, so I can free up my Surface for other peripherals.

I actually wanted to get the BT version, but MS takes a lot of time (about 5 days) to ship stuff and I was in a hurry as I was leaving for an overseas trip. Anyways, I'll probably get the BT version soon enough - as and when the mouse that I use for my desktop machine dies (it has lasted me now for over 3 years!).

benjitek

Does anyone use it in conjunction w/the Bluetooth Touch cover adapter?
I do, I actually bought 2 as it was recently discontinued. I had 1, and once you've used it you don't want not to have it. I don't use it 100%, but when I do I'm very glad to have it. You can't find them on Amazon at around double their retail price. Best Buy still has them in stock, at retail pricing, and they ship quickly -- especially if you opt for express shipping: Microsoft Wireless Adapter Q6W-00001 - Best Buy