What's new

Are Surface Pro Windows 8 drivers available through Windows Update?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The drivers you want are the ones on the recovery partition, the ones that are in the above mentioned folders are already installed. I don't have a SP but there may be a drivers folder in the root of C:\ Have you plugged the USB Drive that you copied the recovery partition to see if you can browse the directories? If you were Deploying Pro you could use the OEM WIM file (you VL would upgrade the OEM licenses), but because you are Deploying Enterprise then yes create a clean Gold Image.

OP
N

netuser

We are not going to use Enterprise. We are going to reimage with VL media for Windows 8 Pro.
I don't think you can clone OEM media even with Volume License unless you are the original system builder. When you get the Volume license upgrade, you also get volume license media that you are supposed to use to replace the OEM media. The VL product activation key may not even work on an image created from OEM media.
The sysprepping process will remove the drivers anyway, so I still need a copy of drivers regardless.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ok....that's fine, but again have you looked on the drive to see if the drivers are there?

OP
N

netuser

I don't have the USB drive with me. I won't be able to look at it until next week. I was hoping someone has done this before and knows where everything is.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As the Surface Pro has just been made available for bulk purchase I haven't seen any Enterprise Deployments not even in the Microsoft IT builds...

daov

I have made a small guide for MDT and the Surface Pro here. I'm not sure if that's any help here. We also have the drivers hosted for Surface Pro here.