What's new

Are there any SP5 models WITHOUT lightbleed?

OP
F

FlatSurface

This I don't get. So, if you have a largely white screen you see a white bar at the bottom? Light bleed is always white to my understanding; how can you see light bleed on a white screen?

Surprisingly, yes. But since you're holding the tablet in portrait mode, the white bar is on the left now. But yes, along that edge the white will be brighter than further inwards.

And I didn't notice any wrinkles on any of the tablets I was handling - but then, I never was looking for it.

Plantje

Ok, there was only one at this moment at Mediamarkt Utrecht and I checked it. And checked it again.... and looked a little better...nothing. With full white, full brightness, I didn't notice any lightbleed. A guy from Mediamarkt was checking if he could help me with it and he looked as well: nothing.
Sorry, but I think you're seeing something that a lot of others don't. On the other hand if you DO see it there is no point in other people (like me) telling you you shouldn't make such a fuzz about it. You see it, it's there and a device this expensive shouldn't have something like this bothering you.
Fortunate for me I don't see enough issue in it to be bothered by it.

On this particular device I did notice some brighter spots here and there in the middle of the screen. But they were more like dots. On whites they were hardly noticeable, but on blue it was better visible. That is most likely due to the fact that the device has been there for months...24/7 switched on.

OP
F

FlatSurface

The one they had at Media Markt The Wall ALSO didn't have it. They do exist. :)

Did you press CLTR+ALT+DEL to check a full blue screen? That's where it's most noticable.

I intend to visit the Utrecht MM myself soon.

Plantje

When I picked it up it had the "draw a line over a balloon" thing running. And that is a blue screen as well: didn't notice anything. But then I did notice the spots even more.

Clintro

Now I am curious and during my lunch break I will head over to Mediamarkt and check some of them. You mention it's not the black, but the whites where you see the issue? What do you mean by that? So, it's best visible when hitting ctrl+alt+del?
Once you see it... it cannot be unseen.... I get that. I had an issue with a very tiny scratch on my Asys Vivotab RT that was caused by a design flaw of the tablet... In the end I got a new tablet, but I really had to mail Asus a lot for that!

And yes, I too see the SP as basically the only one in the category. In the longer run I opt for the i5/8/256 one with LTE. I keep track of alternatives in an Excel sheet. Almost all of them are thicker, heavier, have (l0ud) active cooling. I am looking for something to replacee my desktop, Surface 3 and my work laptop. A Surface Pro is basically the only device that comes close to doing that. All alternatives feel like compromising.

I have a SP5 and the "once you see it" premise is why I don't even want to look and see if I have it...LOL

Ok, you made me do it, but I didn't see any on boot up, normal black screen or on the blue Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. Maybe I am just not as sensitive, or I don't have it. Maybe more people will chime in.

shazada

I live in The Netherlands as well and have a SB, my colleague has a SP.

All I hear is complains from him about this and Bluetooth issues and the keyboard not being recognized and less battery life compared to mine.

So I'd suggest to get the SL or SB if you've any issues :).

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Plantje

If you have issues like that you should have it replaced. More and more I see the 2 years of warranty as a "trial period" that you have to return devices until you get to the one without issues :)

OP
F

FlatSurface

I have a SP5 and the "once you see it" premise is why I don't even want to look and see if I have it...LOL

Ok, you made me do it, but I didn't see any on boot up, normal black screen or on the blue Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. Maybe I am just not as sensitive, or I don't have it. Maybe more people will chime in.

I'm glad to hear yours is fine. As I mentioned earlier, I have seen one that was fine myself in a store here. They even offered to let me buy that one, but wouldn't discount it for being a store model... -_-

Plantje

Just cueckec another one at Mediamarkt Zwolle. I did see the light bleed that youryo referring to. But I can't be bothered by it that much. Noticed a Surface Laptop that had it too by the way.

Ah well, I first have to save some money before I can buy the one I want