What's new

Are there any SP5 models WITHOUT lightbleed?

evandene

The entire surface of a LCD panel is backlit from behind by a light source (CCFL or LED) and the LCD blocks out the light that is not needed when displaying a particular image. Backlight bleeding most commonly occurs when this light is not 100% blocked, allowing excess light to "bleed" around the edges of the LCD panel. This backlight bleeding issue leaves spots of lighter areas on a dark or black background.

Unfortunately, many LCD monitors suffer from at least a small amount of backlight bleed because the opacity of LCD panels and construction materials used in the monitor manufacturing process are not high enough to completely block all light. This will usually only cause problems if the backlight bleeding can be easily detected by the human eye.
There are people out there who do repair/have solved the problem but I wouldn't do this with a Surface Pro :)

Just don't look at it, like one of the members was saying. :)

Ekhangel

Don't look at it? Sure.

Another brilliant suggestion: just don't buy anything from Microsoft, that P-O-S company which has the nerve to actually deliberately release a product with all of the batches having this serious flaw, and then not even admitting to it.

To stay on topic, though: wife's SP2017 bleed is hardly noticeable and oriented only at the left edge. Mine is far worse.

OP
F

FlatSurface

Don't look at it? Sure.

Another brilliant suggestion: just don't buy anything from Microsoft, that P-O-S company which has the nerve to actually deliberately release a product with all of the batches having this serious flaw, and then not even admitting to it.

To stay on topic, though: wife's SP2017 bleed is hardly noticeable and oriented only at the left edge. Mine is far worse.

But you did buy two and are enjoying using them? :)

Plantje

I've got one as well now. The i5/8/256 with LTE. Really happy with it and no noticeable light bleed. At least....nothing that I notice.

Plantje

So, why are you on your third Surface Pro? Because of the light bleed? Or did you have different issues?

OP
F

FlatSurface

How did this work out?

I'm on my third Surface Pro (2017) and they've all had bad lightbleed... albeit I can only really notice on the ctrl + alt + del screen so I learnt to live with it.

I ended up getting the newer i5/8GB/128GB, which had a much newer batch number, too. And sure enough: almost no lightbleed. There's a BIT of it, but certainly within acceptable limits.

I've been using it since. I love the form factor, I love the screen. I love touch and I actually DO use it as a tablet quite a bit.

What I love less is that Windows 10 can be sluggish at times. And there's a special weird thing when typing in boxes like this one here on the forum: there is a noticeable lag (also happens on sites like Facebook or LinkedIn). I don't know what's up with that.

Speaking of Windows, since the last firmware update it won't detect my external monitor. WTF.

Imma use this baby for the next few years. Hopefully in 2020/2021 we'll have an even smoother version of Windows (or maybe even an Apple hybrid? Nahhh…).

Plantje

I ended up getting the newer i5/8GB/128GB, which had a much newer batch number, too. And sure enough: almost no lightbleed. There's a BIT of it, but certainly within acceptable limits.
That's good news!
I've been using it since. I love the form factor, I love the screen. I love touch and I actually DO use it as a tablet quite a bit.
The form factor is really great. Microsoft has struck a gold mine with this. A Surface Go on ARM with way smaller bezels would be a good option as well.
What I love less is that Windows 10 can be sluggish at times.
In a lot of cases updates are being installed.
And there's a special weird thing when typing in boxes like this one here on the forum: there is a noticeable lag (also happens on sites like Facebook or LinkedIn). I don't know what's up with that.
I know. I have it on a lot of PC's. On some machines it is this bad that I copy/paste a quote to a notepad and edit it there. I am doing that for this response as well.
It is just this website.
On the Microsoft community that also happens. Really bad...
Speaking of Windows, since the last firmware update it won't detect my external monitor. WTF.
Perhaps it is possible to throw it away from the devices and have it found again.
Imma use this baby for the next few years. Hopefully in 2020/2021 we'll have an even smoother version of Windows (or maybe even an Apple hybrid? Nahhh…).
No, that is never going to happen :)

CrippsCorner

What I love less is that Windows 10 can be sluggish at times. And there's a special weird thing when typing in boxes like this one here on the forum: there is a noticeable lag (also happens on sites like Facebook or LinkedIn). I don't know what's up with that.

Glad to hear it's working out for you buddy! Each Surface I bought last year had many other problems too... capacitance noise, unstable Wi-Fi on boot, Bluetooth juddering etc. but I too, am in love with the profile of this thing so I put up with it lol.

Funnily enough though, none of these problems persisted with my original Surface Pro from 5 years ago! So imo, their QC has actually got much worse over the years.

Regarding the sluggishness, what browser are you using? I've found Chrome pretty rubbish recently, though I stick with it for syncing purposes.