What's new

Are there any SP5 models WITHOUT lightbleed?

CrippsCorner

So, why are you on your third Surface Pro? Because of the light bleed? Or did you have different issues?

Sorry for the late reply. Mainly lightbleed, but also connectivity issues with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, and
static noise from resistors.

None of which have been resolved!

Plantje

Hmmm... when it comes to bluetooth, mine loses connection with the car every now and then. And on my Surface 3 and my Android phone I am able to see what is playing and skip to the next song using the hardware buttons in the car. On my Surface Pro 2017 that is not possible

Plantje

Was wondering: anyone experiencing light bleed, is this only on the edges? Or is it in the middle of the screen as well?

I have two areas on my screen that seem slightly brighter than the rest. One is a square of 1x1 mm and then there is a more rounded area of about 5mm x 2cm. Showed it to my wife as well and asked her: "Do you see this too or is it typically mee, to see it?" She answered:"No, it's there and I see it too. However, to make an issue out of it is typically you" :)

It's the sort of stuff: Once you see it, it cannot be unseen

OP
F

FlatSurface

My wife said the same thing and yet agreed with me it was not acceptable for a product of this price.

Coincidentally the 128 GB SP5 I have has very minimal light bleed. There is some, but it really doesn't bother me. What bothers me far more is that Windows 10, sadly enough, is still a mess. I'm typing this from my new work provided Macbook...

I hate to say it, but it's good to be back. MacOS is just so much faster, smoother, less random things happening (apps shutting down, control+copy not working, I could go on).

I love the idea of the SP, but in practice I found it to be far less compelling than just using a regular Macbook. I would imagine it's different for artists and people actually using the touch screen.

Plantje

Hmmm... if anything I need the 256 GB version. Because if I am allowed to enter the bring your own computer program at my job an i5/8/256 configuration is the minimum.

Apps shutting down, ctrl+c not working...not stuff I run into. I don't have any issue with Windows 10. Didn't even have issues with Windows 8(.1)

I do agree though, that for a product with this price it should be perfect. Not that the new iPad pro is by the way... but I really do expect perfect stuff for this price.

I use the touch screen a lot! Have the device in the car as well. Only thing I miss there is that Waze and Google maps are this much better in navigating.... So, until I get my Model 3 (which hopefully will be somewhere half this year) I am thinking of getting an Android tablet, just for use in the car. If I do that perhaps I'll find myself working more on that tablet combined with my work laptop instead of the Surface Pro that I will sell it altogether. Future will tell.

CrippsCorner

Was wondering: anyone experiencing light bleed, is this only on the edges? Or is it in the middle of the screen as well?

I have two areas on my screen that seem slightly brighter than the rest. One is a square of 1x1 mm and then there is a more rounded area of about 5mm x 2cm. Showed it to my wife as well and asked her: "Do you see this too or is it typically mee, to see it?" She answered:"No, it's there and I see it too. However, to make an issue out of it is typically you" :)

It's the sort of stuff: Once you see it, it cannot be unseen

Mine is completely uniform from the bottom, about 2cm up... really noticed it on a presentation I was watching on a training course the other week! :(

CrippsCorner

Yes, sorry, to clarify... I have lightbleed at the bottom of my Surface. All the way along the bottom, corners and in the middle.

Plantje

I've wanted a SP5 for over a year now. I went through 9 models in 2017 and, exasperated, bought a Macbook Pro in the end. The reason? ALL the SP5 models had that hideous line of lightbleed at the bottom.

I ended up selling the Macbook as, I didn't like that, either - I prefer Windows 10 over MacOS (and that's coming from someone who worked on MacOS from 2012 - early 2017) and the MBP wasn't silent or that easyto handle at all.

I tried again last week in a different store with the SP5 - the staff opened up 3 boxes for me, ALL with lightbleed.

Is this just something that I'll have to come to terms with if I want a SP5? Is there anyone that has a model that's perfect?

I'm in the Netherlands myself, all the models were from batch 1796.

I am currently going for the third one… because of light bleed issues. It is not the sort of light bleed you mention. I just have spots in the screen that light up a little bit brighter than the rest. And overtime it gets worse and more spots appear. It is very hard to see, but as soon as you see it it cannot be unseen :( Especially for a device this expensive it shouldn't happen!
Unfortunately, in the Netherlands they don't have Advanced Exchange anymore. It should get replaced with something new, but that hasn't been introduced yet. So, today I will visit the Microsoft office at Schiphol since they seem to have some sort of shop next to it.