What's new

Are you annoyed that the Surface Pro 2 has come out so soon?

CrippsCorner

So I was never planning on upgrading anyway, it's not too annoying... I guess most of the improvements are with the accessories anyway. What does kinda annoy me though is that last year I was thinking Christmas 2013 would be the time for a new computer. Then I found out about the Surface Pro and knew I had to have one as soon as possible.

But now I feel if I did stick to my original plan I would be getting the second version after all! Oh well. Some people care, some do not...

My girlfriend's just ordered a rMBP even though the new version is due for release next month, she doesn't care as she got a great deal on the 'current' model!

Can't spend your life waiting, I guess.

hypokondriak

So I was never planning on upgrading anyway, it's not too annoying... I guess most of the improvements are with the accessories anyway. What does kinda annoy me though is that last year I was thinking Christmas 2013 would be the time for a new computer. Then I found out about the Surface Pro and knew I had to have one as soon as possible.

But now I feel if I did stick to my original plan I would be getting the second version after all! Oh well. Some people care, some do not...

My girlfriend's just ordered a rMBP even though the new version is due for release next month, she doesn't care as she got a great deal on the 'current' model!

This is how it is with electronics. At some point you've got what you've got and the only way to reverse that is money....not a poor man's hobby. :)

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

dlacaba

I bought the Pro expecting the second version to be much better than the first. But not too worried, I think this will last me a couple years still.

dellaster

If I had an SP1 I'd be waiting a year for SP3 and Broadwell. Maybe a power cover to hold me in the meantime. As it is, I may be facing the hard decision next year between my SP2 and the new, lighter, thinner, etc., SP3. :p

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Rallicat

In general, if I know a new device is coming out in the next few months, I might wait for it. However once a device has been released you can expect that anything longer than a year is too long to let a product languish without revision, especially in the fast moving world of mobile devices like tablets.

You pay your money and take your chance. At least it's not the iPad '3' - that product was replaced after just a few months!

gangolfus

Should I buy the X right now, or should I wait a little longer for the X+1?

X is any electronic device, and the question is perpetually valid. At some point you just have to commit and buy and be at peace with the decision.

Krooked

As you mentioned, one of the cool things about this update is that there are items being made available to current users. Even if I wasn't going to upgrade to the SP2, I would buy the docking station. I've been wanting to get a usb dock for a while and the MS one appears to be much cooler/useful. Plus there are several other attachments that I am interested in getting.

Unlike most updates, this one updates the whole line.

mtalinm

I think it's pretty remarkable that they are releasing v2 less than a year after the original (Pro). most companies wait at least a year.

Of course, there were glaring problems that needed to be fixed... and they fixed most of them, so that's cool.

Spaniard

Composite Risk Index = Impact of Risk event x Probability of Occurrence

Impact of Risk event wasn't high (Haswell Surface Pro were going to be an update, not revolutionary) and Probability of Occurrence wasn't high (Microsoft were being very slow... until now).
Risk management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Before buying Surface Pro:
Analysis paralysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After buying Surface Pro:
Buyer's remorse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And remember:
144761_340.jpg

Ricolando

I was fortunate enough to have purchased my SP for $400 when MS was giving ridiculous discounts to corporate partners this past summer so I'm not bothered at all, especially since the battery cover will be backwards compatible. The SP came out in the middle of Ivy Bridge's run so it was obvious that MS would have needed to push the upgrade cycle at some point. If they hadn't the SP would always be half a generation behind other pieces of hardware. Better that they did it sooner rather than later.