What's new

Are you annoyed that the Surface Pro 2 has come out so soon?

oion

I don't have a Pro, but if I did... The level of buyer's remorse would be inversely proportional to the time difference between purchase and SPro2 release date. I've had experience with that before, though: Many years ago, I imported a customized $2500 subnotebook from Japan. Less than two weeks later, it went on sale as a new model was released. No returns or exchanges were possible short of actual defect and direct warranty fix.

But as others say, MS couldn't do any differently. The Pro was already "late" when RT was released last year, and they had to do as much triage as possible given the poor market success of their first gens. The hardware and 8.1 updates are a step in the right direction, but the market will be even more sensitive to MS' advertising choices, I think.

What does annoy me is that the battery cover will not be released at the same time as the second gens--that alone would increase value on the SPro1 and easily fix the primary downside of the now-cheaper Pro 1, and further mitigate at least some feeling of buyer's remorse when the choice is between a resale loss and full-price upgrade or merely $200. Well, if the manufacturing side of things isn't yet all in place, I suppose that can't be rushed, but still.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I am annoyed that the SP 2 came out so late.

I guess this is more kinda the point.

I think a year is a sufficient time to wait for an upgrade... just cuts a bit lol. Then again I have buyer's remorse about buying a can of drink
biggrin.png

SurfacePro

Echoing sentiments already posted: I am not annoyed. I have had abundant use of the Surface Pro in my month of ownership, and have no regrets about the purchase nor the looming upgrade available. Also already mentioned, I'm very much excited that accessories are backwards compatible, as I'd like to immediately get my hands on the Power Keyboard to extend the unplugged life of my device.

The device itself is already discounted, so the resell on these devices is quite high. With very little effort, I've seen many SP1 upgrade to SP2 for only a $200 loss by selling the SP1. These people express remorse in selling their device and having to wait several weeks for the SP2 release!

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I wish I needed any of the new accessories coming out lol... but at this point it's more of a 'want' than 'need' maybe next year that'll change.

johnknee

Surface Pro is Microsoft's first ultra-laptop/tablet. Like with any new product created, there will be bugs, issues, and lukewarm specs. With the 2nd generation models, most of the issues will be taken care of, along with a wider selection (more ram, more storage). But notice the SP2 hardware specs are just a slight improvement? Microsoft had to release a SP2 to keep the momentum going. I purchased the SP1 after a few months of the release and will be waiting for SP3 when the hardware specs will be greatly improved. My rule is to upgrade every other (or two) model release, depending if my current unit doesn't support what I needed it for. I will indeed pick up the battery/keyboard accessory when it is release in 2014. I am happy Microsoft included this accessory for the SP1 model.

D

Deleted member 10837

Surface Pro is Microsoft's first ultra-laptop/tablet. Like with any new product created, there will be bugs, issues, and lukewarm specs. With the 2nd generation models, most of the issues will be taken care of, along with a wider selection (more ram, more storage). But notice the SP2 hardware specs are just a slight improvement? Microsoft had to release a SP2 to keep the momentum going. I purchased the SP1 after a few months of the release and will be waiting for SP3 when the hardware specs will be greatly improved. My rule is to upgrade every other (or two) model release, depending if my current unit doesn't support what I needed it for. I will indeed pick up the battery/keyboard accessory when it is release in 2014. I am happy Microsoft included this accessory for the SP1 model.

Any foreseeable future Intel CPUs in tablets will be an Ultra-low power model restricted to a sub 15W TDP. As we have seen from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge to Haswell, the improvement is incremental. I did not expect a huge performance jump from Ivy Bridge to Haswell and I would not from Haswell to Broadwell.

demandarin

Any foreseeable future Intel CPUs in tablets will be an Ultra-low power model restricted to a sub 15W TDP. As we have seen from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge to Haswell, the improvement is incremental. I did not expect a huge performance jump from Ivy Bridge to Haswell and I would not from Haswell to Broadwell.

I agree. but going from Ivy Bridge to Broadwell will be a lot more noticeable performance increase.

I like reading posts like the one you quoted. keeps my yearning for the latest and greatest in tech in check. trust me, I want a new pro bad. but the one I have now is barely over a month old. as I never new about the MS announcement or realized a new one would be released so soon. or I would've waited. but honestly, I love how the pro I have now performs. of course battery life could be better. but that's why its great that the new battery cover coming out will work with first generation device.

now anyone new coming into Surface, id easily recommend the newer model if money not as much of an issue. but if they only have so much to spend, then a used pro1 would be a good buy also. especially since its retaining its value so well on ebay and other sites.

who am I kidding, I want a new 256gb Haswell pro with 8gb RAM and HD4400 graphics..haha

drolem

I think it's pretty remarkable that they are releasing v2 less than a year after the original (Pro). most companies wait at least a year.
The best time to release a new product is before the XMas season. Since the only major change is just a new CPU and chipset, it shouldn't be oo hard to complete v2 in less than a year.

Of course, there were glaring problems that needed to be fixed... and they fixed most of them, so that's cool.
And what were those "glaring problems"?