What's new

Are you going to install 8.1 preview on your surface?

Are you going to install 8.1 preview on your surface?

• Yes

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

Omni

I'm certainly going to try it... but because I would need to need to wipe and reinstall after the RTM is released it puts me off. I will try it on another pc first and see I guess. Will probably install it on my surface eventually. :p

mitchellvii

They were going to call Windows 8.1 "Windows Whiney Baby" but they couldn't fit it on the box.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

revbilly

I'm certainly going to try it... but because I would need to need to wipe and reinstall after the RTM is released it puts me off. I will try it on another pc first and see I guess. Will probably install it on my surface eventually. :p

I think some of the new and updated features will only make it better but I'm going to forgo the beta and wait for the real deal. I've come to depend on my surface too much.

Billy

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

pallentx

I will if they make it available. The pacifier features are not the main focus of what is new in 8.1. There's other cool stuff in there. Small tiles, and the 50/50 split are two things I'm looking forward too. I also hope there are some tweaks to improve the multi-monitor experience.

kristalsoldier

I suppose one would have to wipe out the tab and start again!!! If yes (which is the most likely scenario), then I'd rather just do it once!

quadtronix

I will be waiting for the final release... My surface is too new and I don't want to mess with it. But when the final release comes out I will upgrade. I did have two of the preview versions of Windows 8 on my laptop when they first got released but they were not as polished as the final build.

kristalsoldier

Look here: Microsoft goes public with Windows 8.1 upgrade policies | ZDNet

The lines which caught my attention are:

Windows 8 users who do not install the preview build and opt instead to go straight from Windows 8/Windows RT to Windows 8.1 will not have to reinstall their apps. All settings, data and apps will carry over, a spokesperson said when I asked. Users will be able to decide when and if they want to move from Windows 8 and Windows RT to the 8.1 versions, officials stressed.

MaxSurface

It seems like Windows 8.1 is just like a Service Pack to me and waiting for the official release will not require a reinstalling all your stuff. Preview builds always require reinstalling the official version, when it's finally released, from scratch. I think I am gonna wait it out.

TeknoBlast

I usually don't like messing around with preview software, but I will install it on my ultra book rather than my Surface. I can always create a virtual machine in Hyper-V and test it there.