What's new

Argh Got a small ding on my SB2 Tablet side

bangsters

Hello guys, so I got my first ding on my SB2. First time I had a ding since having my surface devices (back from SP Pro) so it's a bit frustrating. And this is the only time I did not get that extended plan from MS. Still not sure how I got it, as I never dropped or banged the book on any hard surface.

Anyway, is it possible to remove the ding using those automotive dent removal tools (those as seen on tv ones)? If I put a skin on it, the ding would still be visible unless I fill the ding with putty or something to flatten it.

Also, if I go skin route, what is the recommended ones out there? I'm leaning on dbrand, I prefer the same finish as stock and I can't find any skin with the same finish, closest it the dbrand titanium.

OP
B

bangsters

Anyone else got ding on their SB? This is my 4th Book, and sadly the only book I did not get Extended protection. The first 3 never saw any scratches or dings as well... those who got dinged, did you fix it without replacing? if so, how?

Anyway, dbrand does not appear to have 15" skins.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else got ding on their SB? This is my 4th Book, and sadly the only book I did not get Extended protection. The first 3 never saw any scratches or dings as well... those who got dinged, did you fix it without replacing? if so, how?

Anyway, dbrand does not appear to have 15" skins.
I got a scratch on my 15", I'm using a Skin from Decal Girl...

OP
B

bangsters

Thanks. Does decal girl's skin have texture? I wamt something that blends with the current finish of the sb2.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. Does decal girl's skin have texture? I wamt something that blends with the current finish of the sb2.

I got the marble one feels very smooth with a little friction - the only thing with Decal Girl their decals are only for the screen and keyboard, no bottom of the base. But they are reasonably priced.

OP
B

bangsters

Tha ks
Will check them out. I don't really like putting any on keyboard as it ruins the design IMO. The surround of the keyboard gets skinned but not the spaces in between keys or the keys, so the keyboard itself looks off to the rest of the skinned part.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Tha ks
Will check them out. I don't really like putting any on keyboard as it ruins the design IMO. The surround of the keyboard gets skinned but not the spaces in between keys or the keys, so the keyboard itself looks off to the rest of the skinned part.

They seem to do a good job - also that is why I chose the White Marble it seemed to work well with the Silver/White theme of the SB2

y4mOFguJsDrDlMc671LcDOaktj_7d_sGsWGg_DDjsmuCAQvFiZaNQieJHK1HltzLlhny3Ba3rr74R8fYNraC7v350VohoDs6Notr5HKfZlFzfg0ejr2c3-fOQ51yR0q9Jc_9tCF7E_mOBM1iWs5V-XepKUKtyjV_Q7Gc-bXLCe_K_l4kjnwCaflVzkalekUy0ZaKOGRtZgyeJmgG9FWKFVTFw

NClens

Skinomi (check amazon) makes a clear film that covers every metal piece on the surface book 2. This protection goes along the edges, the metal top (aside from the keys), lid and base. It's a little tricky to apply, but it's held up on mine perfectly and doesn't seem to have yellowed at all.

OP
B

bangsters

Skinomi (check amazon) makes a clear film that covers every metal piece on the surface book 2. This protection goes along the edges, the metal top (aside from the keys), lid and base. It's a little tricky to apply, but it's held up on mine perfectly and doesn't seem to have yellowed at all.

Thanks!! Do you still have this on your SB? Any pics, perhaps? Curious how it looks like after a few months of use.

Currently leaning towards stickerboy or decalgirl

NClens

I'm attaching a pic of the lid on my surface, where if you look at the edge, you can see the seam where the Skinomi stops and the bare magnesium shows. The clear Skinomi I have makes my entire SB2 slightly glossy, but really isn't noticeable. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 506
OP
B

bangsters

I'm attaching a pic of the lid on my surface, where if you look at the edge, you can see the seam where the Skinomi stops and the bare magnesium shows. The clear Skinomi I have makes my entire SB2 slightly glossy, but really isn't noticeable. Hope this helps.

Thank you sir!! Yea that looks good. I might make a combination of customer for the top, and clear on the inside.

Gonna swing by auto store later to buy that dent removing thing, and see if I can pull back the dent.