What's new

Argh! So Disappointed With This Tablet

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
And this is the guy that will decide if the Surface is worth purchasing for the company? Dismiss this guy already.
seriously? you have provided absolutely no content to this discussion other than being able to watch sweet videos. shouldn't you be in school right now?
Please calm down. I'm watching this thread and although i understand, that the discussion is controversial by the theme from the start, there's no need to run in circles and get rude.

K4ot1K

Hey K4, how does the Surface interact with the xbox? I have smart glass on the surface and did connect to the xbox, but I didn't see much functionality out of the gate.... I did a quick bing search and didn't find too many details.

I do not know if all the functionality is there yet. However, the Surface is going to allow you to interact with games, such as redrawing plays in Madden 2013. Also, it interacts with movies and TV shows. And I am expecting to interaction between the two to become stronger. There is a video on youtube from the 2012 E3 microsoft show, showing full interaction with smart glass. It will also interact in the same way iPod does with Apple TV, but with more features.

v10type-r

For $700 you get a device made by Microsoft. A premium device made with premium materials and components. They also almost had to price the Surface RT higher so to not undercut their partners (Dell, Asus, Acer, Samsung etc) who also have RT devices.

Its no different to saying if Apple were to allow other companies to manufacture iOS devices, they would certainly maintain a high price tag and create a premium iPad to lead by example.

As for its intended purpose? Its an RT device, a companion device as previously mentioned in this thread. If any expectations are above this then forgo the RT and get the Pro or any other Windows 8 device.

But for students wanting to have a more productive device than an iPad or Android tablet, the RT is perfect. For the average consumer who wants to check email, browse the internet and consume media the RT based devices will suffice for about 95% of them.

And please stop complaining about apps, this is a broken record. The RT devices have been out for 6 weeks maybe? The apps will come, this has to be understood. And they are already coming fast. I wouldn't be surprised if MS has caught up to Apple and Android by this time next year. (minus the garbage apps).

I read in an article that MS expects to break 100k apps by January 2013, and that they are averaging between 300-400 new apps per day since the launch.

Last edited:

rbeste

I believe that the reference to Outlook is running OWA which works great on the RT and gives a very close equivalent experience to full Outlook. For what it's worth, I wouldn't expect to ever see the full desktop Outlook client app on the RT. It is a resource hog and running it full time like we all do on our desktops would kill battery life as well as available resources to run other applications. I envision Microsoft improving the weak included mail app over time but don't expect 'full' outlook.

joemader

Mail it to me! Mail it to me!

Its a lot bigger than an e-reader.
expandable memory trumps any ipad price point.
not to mention the usb port.
oh yeah, and it has microsoft office?

rcsrhr

MB … I'd like to see it cost less too. But early adopters will adopt early, and it seems Microsoft is intentionally limiting the early demand by both price and constrained distribution channels to those people that really want one. I liked your supercar analogy about a new car coming into a mature market with fewer features and similar premium price tag.

That's definitely what Microsoft has done. I do think the fit and finish of the hardware is superb, and it does feel like a premium device. Microsoft is positioning it into niches where it knows it will be successful. This is through providing MS Office and the workflow for using it that takes advantage of the accommodation that IT departments have made for personal devices and then one upping its competition for users like me with the excellent integrated workflow. It is a niche where Microsoft is going to win, because the niche is MS Office users. Also the xBox community of gamers is another niche where price sensitivity is low and where the integration advantage will produce another group of dedicated users. Again there will be no competition here and gamers drive premium hardware. Microsoft isn't going to sell a lot of these things out of the gate, but it doesn't look like they intend to. They are going to make sure that the early adopters love them though.

So to use your supercar analogy, you could be successful making a new Supercar with premium pricing and lower features, if you could make it appeal to specific niche groups. Like Porsche did when it offered a "retro" 911 that it charged supercar prices for, while omitting any modern tech. Many boutique car manufacturers make good money doing this very thing. The interesting thing is that a company the size of Microsoft appears to be doing it. They are going for profitability, but not overall market share. It may serve them well in the future as their market share grows, while maintaining their image as a premium device. If they just slashed prices they would sell alot, but then be low end device maker.

OP
M

Mbergin

rcsrhr,
what a well written, thought out post. Thank you for your concise and thoughtful words. I am starting to see the positives of this device and how it may change the tablet landscape. Thank you for being respectful.

ctitanic

What's this? Another "I want the Start Button Back" type of thread.

There is nothing confusing in Windows 8, it just a matter of learning new tricks. New OS new tricks. Once you learn those tricks you never will want to go back to W7 or XP.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

OP
M

Mbergin

What's this? Another "I want the Start Button Back" type of thread.

There is nothing confusing in Windows 8, it just a matter of learning new tricks. New OS new tricks. Once you learn those tricks you never will want to go back to W7 or XP.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Who said the OS is confusing???

Chubnut

I've read through nearly all the posts in this thread and have to say I've seen similar on other forums and also in reviews in various tech magazines and I have to say I'm still confused!

Before I bought the RT I did lots of research. I knew what it's limitations where compared to the pro. I knew that as being an early adopter there would be bugs, restrictions and small numbers of apps. I went through this with WP7 and other phones such as UIQ based SE P series. I made a decision based on what I wanted and expected to use the device for. I made decisions knowing full well that I could get frustrated with the new OS as well.

After everything the RT was the ideal choice! I didn't want a desktop replacement - I have a powerful laptop and various desktops for that. I also wanted a clear separation between work and home so joining the corporate network, using Outlook etc were not issues. The lack of apps good or bad weren't an issue, they seem to be coming and the store is filling up fairly quickly.

My RT has joined my home network without issue. I have a VPN set up to home too. With a bit of research, I found out how to set up network drives as icons on the start screen. I can print to my network printer at home without any issue at all. The flash hack means I can stream from flash sites. Windows tends to lend itself to customisation and constant improvements anyway. Popping onto XDA developers normally provides solutions to niggling issues too.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Maybe my expectations were lower going into this, or maybe they were just right. Like I said I'm confused.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Last edited:

Chubnut

Sorry about the replication in my post above. I can't seem to see where the doubling up is when I edit the post.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express