What's new

ARM Processor or Intel?

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
The Microsoft Surface is a 10.6" tablet powered by Windows 8, coming in two distinct versions -- both equipped with touch screens. One will be powered by an ARM processor and will be more like a traditional tablet running Windows RT. The other will be powered by Intel's 22nm Ivy Bridge chips running the desktop version of Windows 8.

What processor would you prefer to have?

Astrix

Super Moderator
For entertainment and mobility, this will be my choice:- ARM processor

Heavy usage, I got my Overclocked PC :nerd:

Ollie

For entertainment and mobility, this will be my choice:- ARM processor

Heavy usage, I got my Overclocked PC :nerd:

1.2Ghz doesn't count as being overclocked :p

I would have to do more research before deciding on arm vs Intel. Ivy is nice though!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Depends on what you want. Basically if you want an ultrabook (high end portable pc) that also happens to be a tablet then Windows 8. If you want a more casual device but still want the Windows connection then get Windows RT. It is really the same question you currently have to ask yourself about your needs. Do you need a laptop or a tablet.

Unfortunately for many people they really needed a laptop but wanted a tablet and didn't have a good option for that situation. That lead to disappointment with Android or a compromise with iPad. Surface solves that problem by offering a tablet that can also be a true PC.

liftedplane

Depends on what you want. Basically if you want an ultrabook (high end portable pc) that also happens to be a tablet then Windows 8. If you want a more casual device but still want the Windows connection then get Windows RT. It is really the same question you currently have to ask yourself about your needs. Do you need a laptop or a tablet.

Unfortunately for many people they really needed a laptop but wanted a tablet and didn't have a good option for that situation. That lead to disappointment with Android or a compromise with iPad. Surface solves that problem by offering a tablet that can also be a true PC.

exactly, I really like the look of the new 22nm ivy bridge, if they can really pull off the low power states etc etc then it'll be a no brainer for me, it would be cool if they were able to pack a decent video card in there, these could be true portable laptop powerhouses.

ARosch

If the ivybridge version is reasonably priced then I will definitely take it over the ARM. I have ivybridge in my desktop and love it.

MOFO

I'm leaning torward the ARM version but the Pro version really has caught my eye, one thing the Pro has to do is see how well it manages temps in such a thin form, the perimeter venting is a neat solution but is it fanless?

AbYe

I am actually looking to install RT on my android tablet ... hopefully MS will allow that to happen!