What's new

Article makes it sound like Windows 9 is best for desktops, not tablets

macmee

This article talks about bringing back the start bar, and about the metro interface. I have concerns about Windows 9 on the Surface:

1. The start button will be awful to use on a touch screen. It has on hover events and small text which is really built for mouse use. I don't want that thing on my tablet

2. If they bring back the start button does that mean they're getting rid of the full screen metro ui? Again, I prefer using the metro ui since it's a tablet

3. The article suggests that Microsoft might force tablet users to only use metro. If Microsoft does this to us it would remove tremendous functionality from our i5, i7 tablets

I'm looking forward to Windows 9 for Cortana and to try out wifi and storage sense, but if they begin replacing touch friendly UI with desktop UI, or if they remove desktop UI and force us onto touch UI then I'm not going to be happy. For tablets they got the balance right for me in W8.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The preview I understand is for Desktops only which might color (off color) analysts reviews as they tend to be easily confused by the merest of technical details.

Though I have the utmost confidence in Microsoft's ability to fumble on the 10 yard line after doggedly driving the length of the field.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We won't know until we see it, if you look at the leaked videos you will see that there are options to use a Full Screen Start Screen vs. the Start Menu and the ability to use charms but are only visible on Touch Screens. Since all of the leaks have been implemented under virtualization all we are seeing is the Desktop View.

There is still the rumored Touch Only SST Desktop-less SKU, but we won't know about that till the second preview according to sources.

mennogreg

I think they should make Windows 8.1 their iOS (MS has changed and discarded so many software names that I don't know what you'd call it...Windows Mobile?) I think that should be their OS from now on for hybrid/touch-only devices (so there would be a Windows 8.2, 8.3, etc available for free), whereas desktop versions would be desktop-only (surprise!) and geared towards enterprise/power users with a focus solely on the desktop and maximizing its experience.

So Windows Mobile would have the Start screen as it does now, along with the desktop as it exists now (disabled for phones), so people who need a hybrid device are satisfied, whereas the desktop version has new features geared towards them with the Modern interface stripped out (no charms bar, start screen, etc).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think they should make Windows 8.1 their iOS (MS has changed and discarded so many software names that I don't know what you'd call it...Windows Mobile?) I think that should be their OS from now on for hybrid/touch-only devices (so there would be a Windows 8.2, 8.3, etc available for free), whereas desktop versions would be desktop-only (surprise!) and geared towards enterprise/power users with a focus solely on the desktop and maximizing its experience.

So Windows Mobile would have the Start screen as it does now, along with the desktop as it exists now (disabled for phones), so people who need a hybrid device are satisfied, whereas the desktop version has new features geared towards them with the Modern interface stripped out (no charms bar, start screen, etc).
In a way that is happening....

Option 1 - All Desktop for Mouse and Keyboard
Option 2 - Hybrid with Start Menu
Option 3 - Hybrid with Full Screen Start Screen
Option 4 - ARM and ATOM SST Modern UI Only