What's new

Article: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Reveals Poor Quality Control

sleith001

foghat

Not sure who you are, really. You have 4 posts, none of them is positive. I know Samsung hire people post on competitor's media sites, and smell something similar. I want to remind everyone, things like that are true.

Sources?

Things like poor quality control can also be true.

ipaq_101

I think we need to look at a few things before we start on quality control:

1) Total Units sold
2) Units that have problems

Until you have these figures it's all non-sense. If you sell 1,000,000 units and have 10,000 bad units that's 1% of units that have QC issues, a pretty good rate. However, we don't know the numbers yet to figure that out.

Only the people with the problems complain and write articles, for every one person that does that I bet there are 10 times as many that don't. Not everyone who purchased a SP3 is on this forum.

No products are defect free, even OEM has these issues.

Remember when the iPhone 5 came out and they were being shipped with scratches?

ctitanic

I think we need to look at a few things before we start on quality control:

1) Total Units sold
2) Units that have problems

Until you have these figures it's all non-sense. If you sell 1,000,000 units and have 10,000 bad units that's 1% of units that have QC issues, a pretty good rate. However, we don't know the numbers yet to figure that out.

Only the people with the problems complain and write articles, for every one person that does that I bet there are 10 times as many that don't. Not everyone who purchased a SP3 is on this forum.

No products are defect free, even OEM has these issues.

Remember when the iPhone 5 came out and they were being shipped with scratches?

Exactly, add to that that most of the press are using Apple products. You know what I mean.

wynand32

In all fairness, there's usually plenty of coverage of Apple problems at launch. Remember what a kerfuffle "Antennagate" turned into... However, many/most tech "journalists" nowadays just have a very short memory, and they're looking to post the most controversial stuff they can. That's how they think they'll get the most clicks. So, it's like sharks and blood in the water--get the tiniest hint of an issue and they all start posting about it like they're breaking some really incredible piece of news.

ctitanic

fwiw, my family has been through 4 ipads and 8 iphones and have never experienced any sort of hardware 'defect' right out of the box.

Probably they were properly trained in how to use them according to Steve Jobs guidelines.

sleith001

Sources?

Things like poor quality control can also be true.

I don't have source in hand, but it was reported by major news sites. Reason I am saying that, if you say Surface quality is poor is like saying Bill Gates is poor. I have a Surface, some friends have it. From anything I gathered, if say something like, I would put big question mark on it.

bradhaak

I think this is fair. There are a lot of people with various problems and it sounds like a lot of them are quality control issues. I's unfortunate because oit gives a very nice product a bad reputation and cost MS a fortune to fix.

I appear to be one of the lucky ones who haven't had any problems. I wish there was some way to find out the actual percentage of bad units vs good ones. Obviously the people with problems are going to be much more vocal, but it would be nice to know actual numbers.

bkydcmpr

I have bezel separation along the top of the unit - when in landscape. It is not terrible, but is noticeable. I ordered mine online from MS, not sure if it is worth the effort to return and take chances on another unit.

fwiw, my family has been through 4 ipads and 8 iphones and have never experienced any sort of hardware 'defect' right out of the box.
your unit is probably the best candidate for ifixit to tear down, they'll have a spot to start removing the screen.

bkydcmpr

Not sure who you are, really. You have 4 posts, none of them is positive. I know Samsung hire people post on competitor's media sites, and smell something similar. I want to remind everyone, things like that are true.
you don't have to be so sensitive. the first day after sp3 shipping some users who are long time microsoft followers on another forum started reporting problems like uneven kickstand, so there are quality issues going on, given the small numbers of the users on that forum.

puma

What determines a bad unit from units that are good hardware wise but constantly having glitches, restarts.. this is not the hardware, this is bad drivers.. or software issues. There were a lot right out of the gate I feel.