What's new

Audio chop out when lock screen engages followed by inconsistent audio

pwaggs

One problem I have found with audio playback is that it becomes choppy and very difficult to follow once the Surface lockscreen descends. Immediately upon employing the lockscreen, the audio chops out and then remains inconsistent and choppy until you wake the Surface back up and return it to its “active” state again. It is almost as if the power save function is cutting too much power or inconsistent power from the audio system. Unfortunately, this quality makes it very difficult to use to listen to any sort of podcast for any longer than your active session.

I am using PushPod to play my podcasts.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. There are several threads regarding Surface audio issues. You can try adjusting your power management settings to not allow the Surface to sleep or wait for an update that fixes the issue.

JP

OP
P

pwaggs

Welcome to the forum. There are several threads regarding Surface audio issues. You can try adjusting your power management settings to not allow the Surface to sleep or wait for an update that fixes the issue.

JP

Thanks. I am finding bits about this issue throughout the forum. I will wait for an update and meanwhile continue educating myself through the forums.

ctitanic

At this moment I'm sure that Microsoft already knows about the issue. It has been reported everywhere.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Br1an_g

this issue is really annoying me. I need to restart my surface every time I close the cover or the audio is choppy for the first 30 seconds of every song. needs an update soon :(

gglazer

Ya it still happens to me after the update. Quite annoying. I find it insane that they would not have fixed this before release. The one thing I expect this tablet to do is to play a darn mp3 without skipping.

OP
P

pwaggs

Ya it still happens to me after the update. Quite annoying. I find it insane that they would not have fixed this before release. The one thing I expect this tablet to do is to play a darn mp3 without skipping.

Yes, my audio chop is still there after the update as well. I got really excited the first time I played something after the update and the lock screen descended, I thought I did not hear the chop, however, the inconsistency arrived shortly into the podcast and the initial chop is clearly heard on subsequent tests. I am sure MS is working on this, but I am surprised it was not bundled into this last update.

Speculation only, but it behaves like some sort of bad power handling. That could signal other problems. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Br1an_g

i got an update yesterday and since then my music has been stutter free. anyone else had the same? travelling to work this morning streaming has been perfect. been on standby a couple of time and came back with no issues. has it been fixed...

OP
P

pwaggs

i got an update yesterday and since then my music has been stutter free. anyone else had the same? travelling to work this morning streaming has been perfect. been on standby a couple of time and came back with no issues. has it been fixed...

Hmmm...I had not noticed an update. I'll check on it now. Thanks for the notice.