What's new

Auto brightness disabled, yet still there. How to get rid of it?

baandoptager

There were many reasons why i ditched the Surface Pro (After 6 of them), was among other things the incredible annoying "auto brightness" bug.

It is on my Surface Pro 3 too. And... no matter what i do, it won't go away.

Can anyone help?

PS: It's not really auto brightness, but a gentle dimming of the display once in a while. It is totally uncool on a screen that is supposed to help me get colors right for clients and so forth. Its driving me nuts!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only dimming of the screen i have encountered (i never use auto brightness, just set it as i like it) is just before it goes into sleep, like with all mobile products.

ptrkhh

My SP3 even shipped with the auto-brightness off. It seems like they know that they kinda messed up in that area.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have auto brightness disabled on every device I have. ever watch a street light come on and off and dusk or dawn?... same thing. Ambient light fluctuations at the cutoff point are unavoidable ... see clouds on a sunny day.

OP
B

baandoptager

In the power options there are two settings. One for auto-dimming and another for Adaptive Brightness. you can adjust both. is this what you are referring to?

Turned dimming to 0% and auto brightness off. Its still there..... whenever i switch between a light and dark page, it slowly goes : 1 step, 2 step, 3 step. What is it about? Im starting to get annoyed with me surface pro 3, soooo many things to tweak just to get normal behaviour. I dont want others (vendors) to decide what i do with my machine. i want control. I payed good money for it!

ptrkhh

whenever i switch between a light and dark page, it slowly goes : 1 step, 2 step, 3 step. What is it about?
Ah I get it, its Intel's GPU power saving feature.

You can turn it off with the Surface Tweak Tool (The option is "Dynamically adjust the contrast ratio when on battery.").
Another way to do that is to use Intel's GPU driver to gain the full GPU Control Panel. Just download it off downloadcenter.intel.com, then install the driver (try using Have Disk method)

I also disabled that option on all my devices.

OP
B

baandoptager

Ah I get it, its Intel's GPU power saving feature.

You can turn it off with the Surface Tweak Tool (The option is "Dynamically adjust the contrast ratio when on battery.").
Another way to do that is to use Intel's GPU driver to gain the full GPU Control Panel. Just download it off downloadcenter.intel.com, then install the driver (try using Have Disk method)

I also disabled that option on all my devices.

Doesn't work either. But, you're right, it only happens in batter mode.

ptrkhh

Have you tried installing Intel GPU driver?

Open downloadcenter.intel.com, then pick "Graphics Driver", pick "Laptop graphics driver", and pick the appropriate GPU for your SP3 (i3: 4200, i5: 4400, i7: 5000). After the installation has finished, extract the archive.

Now open Device Manager, expand the "Display adapters" tree, and right click on the GPU driver (On my i3, its Intel(R) HD Graphics Family), and click "Update Driver Software"
Click "Browse my computer for driver software", then click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", and click "Have Disk..."

Click "Browse", then open the extracted archive, and open the "Graphics" folder. There should be one .inf file, click it and proceed.

After the installation has finished, the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel should appear when you right click on the desktop.

You can disable the dynamic contrast adjustment there.

r0b123

Hmm, maybe it's resolved in Win 10 TP? Setting is off on mine and from what I can tell, it does happen in battery mode once I disconnect power, but I use turn the brightness up 2 or 3 levels to maintain the level before.

upload_2015-1-11_8-10-3.png

OP
B

baandoptager

Have you tried installing Intel GPU driver?

Open downloadcenter.intel.com, then pick "Graphics Driver", pick "Laptop graphics driver", and pick the appropriate GPU for your SP3 (i3: 4200, i5: 4400, i7: 5000). After the installation has finished, extract the archive.

Now open Device Manager, expand the "Display adapters" tree, and right click on the GPU driver (On my i3, its Intel(R) HD Graphics Family), and click "Update Driver Software"
Click "Browse my computer for driver software", then click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", and click "Have Disk..."

Click "Browse", then open the extracted archive, and open the "Graphics" folder. There should be one .inf file, click it and proceed.

After the installation has finished, the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel should appear when you right click on the desktop.

You can disable the dynamic contrast adjustment there.

This is what the tweak tool does, if im not mistaking. Doesn't work!