What's new

Automatic Tethering to Windows Phone

jacewt

I just noticed this today. I have:

Windows Phone 8 (521 updated to the latest GDR3)
Surface Pro (running Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center)

When I go look at my Wireless connections, my phone showed up as available. At first I thought I had turned on internet sharing on and left it on accidentally. I rarely connect my surface to my phone. The connection showed up as my phone's name, not the name I had assigned in the Windows Phone Internet Sharing settings.

I checked my phone and the Internet Sharing settings said it was OFF!

I went back to the surface and clicked on my phone in the Wireless settings. It didn't want to connect and claimed limited internet. I checked my phone and now noticed that the Internet Sharing had been turned on.

I tried to join the network again and this time it connected perfectly. It now showed the connection as the name I had selected on the Windows Phone Internet Sharing settings.

I turned off Internet sharing again. The my phone was still showing. I clicked it and it started the Internet Sharing feature without me having to touch the phone and connected perfectly.

I checked my HP desktop which is also running Windows 8.1 and it does not see my phone.

I am not sure if this is a feature of Windows Phone 8 GDR3 or the Surface Pro 8.1 It seems really neat and handy though to be able to access your phone's internet without having to even touch it.

thanibee

I just noticed this today. I have:

Windows Phone 8 (521 updated to the latest GDR3)
Surface Pro (running Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center)

When I go look at my Wireless connections, my phone showed up as available. At first I thought I had turned on internet sharing on and left it on accidentally. I rarely connect my surface to my phone. The connection showed up as my phone's name, not the name I had assigned in the Windows Phone Internet Sharing settings.

I checked my phone and the Internet Sharing settings said it was OFF!

I went back to the surface and clicked on my phone in the Wireless settings. It didn't want to connect and claimed limited internet. I checked my phone and now noticed that the Internet Sharing had been turned on.

I tried to join the network again and this time it connected perfectly. It now showed the connection as the name I had selected on the Windows Phone Internet Sharing settings.

I turned off Internet sharing again. The my phone was still showing. I clicked it and it started the Internet Sharing feature without me having to touch the phone and connected perfectly.

I checked my HP desktop which is also running Windows 8.1 and it does not see my phone.

I am not sure if this is a feature of Windows Phone 8 GDR3 or the Surface Pro 8.1 It seems really neat and handy though to be able to access your phone's internet without having to even touch it.
I also discovered that after my GDR3 upgrade to Lumia 520. Its kind of neat and tethering is via Bluetooth.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

DDReaper

it's actually a feature of both GDR3 and Windows 8.1 i think.
I know that it's definitly a feature of gdr3 (see windows blog) but they said that you need windows 8.1 to make it work.

OP
J

jacewt

Yeah, I discovered you need to have paired the phone prior to attempting that. i don't think the actual internet tethering is on bluetooth though. I think it uses bluetooth to sense that the phone is there but it does start the internet sharing on the phone and that is what is sharing the internet, not bluetooth.

JohnF

From what I've been able to tell, once you've paired the phone, the internet sharing name shows up as one of the WiFi hotspots. You have to have set up internet sharing already. When selected it causes the phone to turn on internet sharing then connects via WiFi.

It basically saves you the step of having to go into the settings and manually turn on internet sharing. It's a little bit of a nice time saver if you have your phone stowed away in a bag or pocket and don't want to have to get it out and go through the process of getting down to the internet sharing.

CrippsCorner

That's good actually I wish my iPhone did that. Also noticed that when the majority of games on my iPhone are loaded up, it disconnects the tether! And won't automatically reconnect, which is kinda annoying.