What's new

Automatic Wake From Sleep Back?

Philtastic

There was a problem possibly from the December firmware where the SP2 would automatically wake from sleep, possibly even automatically boot when shutdown, and drain the battery, usually over night. I thought that it had been fixed sometime in February. It's been awhile since I left my SP2 in sleep over night but I did last night at about 60% battery and woke it just now to find it flashing red at 5%! What the hell?! Is the wake from sleep bug back? Anyone else having this problem again?

Edit: Here's the battery report graph and chart showing it awake all night long from 5:00 am to 12:00 pm (I went to bed really late). Holy moly, it devoured my battery!
Screenshot (57).png
Screenshot (58).png

Last edited:
OP
P

Philtastic

Had it happen again today, this time on my way to work while it was in my bag. I've noticed that sometimes the screen turns back on moments after I hit the power button as I close up the Type Cover 2 and slip it into my bag. It hadn't happened for awhile so I had stopped checking. I think I'll have to start checking again. I'm pretty sure that I'm not accidentally hitting the start button on the tablet frame either. In any case, if the device were working properly, it would go back to sleep automatically after 10 min but it doesn't seem to do that since it was still on when I took it out of my bag 40 min later and fairly warm.

Looks like the bug might be back after all.

mennogreg

Oof! Sorry to hear that. I had my Surface Pro 2 stolen, so I purchased an SP1 (with Power Cover) in the meantime until I'm reimbursed by insurance and the SP3 is released. I didn't have it as bad as some others with the SP2, but boy, had I forgotten what it's like to have zero sleep issues now that I'm using an SP1. The overall difference in stability is almost night and day (at least for me!).

OP
P

Philtastic

Yeah, this problem is back. Doesn't seem to happen very often but tonight it drained my battery by roughly 33% over almost 3 hours of time where it automatically woke from sleep exactly 40 seconds after I had hit the power button to put it to sleep, reconnected the keyboard, and set it down. I only found it now after I picked it up as I went to go to bed and found it hot. Here's the battery report showing that it turned on automatically at 22:23:51 and stayed on until I restarted it because there was high System and System Interrupt usage (contrary to my power options where it should have gone to sleep after 10 min).
Screenshot (70).png

daniielrp

Had this a few times - can you guys see what causes it to wake?

In my event viewer whenever it happens I can see the wake source is "Intel eXtensible USB 3.0 host" - no idea how to fix it though :/