What's new

Solved Autorotate work for anyone on SP3 Windows 10?

dld44

I've seen lots of forum traffic about display auto rotation on W8 but haven't in the last few months seen anyone definitively state that it functions on Windows 10. I'm now at the latest level, version 1511 build 10586.11, and was hoping that it might magically start working, but nothing. There is still no control panel settings for it. There is only the option to manually place the display in landscape or portrait (and flipped). Does anyone have it working?
SP3 I5 128GB 4GB, latest driver support, just installed version 1511 this afternoon.
Thanks, DaveD

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Works for me just fine, @dld44. Be sure to detach the Type Cover Keyboard or place your SP3 in Tablet mode to allow Auto Rotation to work.

OP
D

dld44

I'll ask the question another way:
Has anyone had problems with Autorotate on an SP3 under Windows 10?
If so, has anyone got it to work? If so, how?

Background: I bought my SP3 new on July 21, 2015. I mention this because it may be related to a specific hardware level that MS shipped at the time. I immediately upgraded to Windows 10 when it became available, so I don't know whether auto rotation ever worked on 8.1 as delivered. But it never worked on W10. The option was never there. I upgraded to the fall release yesterday and it is still not there. Here's a clip of the display settings (the settings from the W10 settings and traditional Control Panel settings are similar):
display settings.JPG
I can't clip with the "Orientation" selector dropped down but it states Landscape, Portrait, and both flipped. No other options offer the capability to auto rotate.

Link to another forum removed by staff.
My entire list of sensors in Device Manager consisted of HID Sensor Collection V2 and Kionix Sensor Fusion Device. I downloaded the Kionix accelerometer drivers and others from links in this link and directly from Kionix. I can install various versions of the accelerometer driver but it always tells me that "This device cannot start (Code 10); Failed to open lower target for IO handling". I tried many convoluted suggestions to get it to work. Nothing.
I'm beginning to believe that I may have a hardware problem. But before I pursue replacing the SP3, I would like to hear from others who might have now or once had this problem with W10.
Thanks
DaveD

Attachments

• display settings.JPG
    display settings.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 883
Last edited by a moderator:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll ask the question another way:
Has anyone had problems with Autorotate on an SP3 under Windows 10?
If so, has anyone got it to work? If so, how?

Background: I bought my SP3 new on July 21, 2015. I mention this because it may be related to a specific hardware level that MS shipped at the time. I immediately upgraded to Windows 10 when it became available, so I don't know whether auto rotation ever worked on 8.1 as delivered. But it never worked on W10. The option was never there. I upgraded to the fall release yesterday and it is still not there. Here's a clip of the display settings (the settings from the W10 settings and traditional Control Panel settings are similar):
View attachment 7361
I can't clip with the "Orientation" selector dropped down but it states Landscape, Portrait, and both flipped. No other options offer the capability to auto rotate.
I spent a lot of time in October trying various things from many discussion group sites, including http://www.ondaforum.com/topic/2908-windows-10-problems-fixed-auto-rotation-fix-touch-keyboard/?page=1.
My entire list of sensors in Device Manager consisted of HID Sensor Collection V2 and Kionix Sensor Fusion Device. I downloaded the Kionix accelerometer drivers and others from links in this link and directly from Kionix. I can install various versions of the accelerometer driver but it always tells me that "This device cannot start (Code 10); Failed to open lower target for IO handling". I tried many convoluted suggestions to get it to work. Nothing.
I'm beginning to believe that I may have a hardware problem. But before I pursue replacing the SP3, I would like to hear from others who might have now or once had this problem with W10.
Thanks
DaveD

I may be wrong but those settings in the control panel have nothing to do with auto-rotation. That is simply the default orientation. What does the rotation lock slider look like in the win 10 settings panel under display? It is a completely different setting to orientation.

rotate.PNG

Note that mine is greyed out because i am docked. This toggle button is directly linked to the auto-rotate button in the Action Center

OP
D

dld44

That setting does not exist on my SP3. Nor does the auto-rotate button in the Action Center. The support is simply not there! I've been all through this stuff many times, with many different settings, in both PC mode and Tablet mode. I believe the answer is this ain't going to work until I get the accelerometer to function, and that might not happen, either because of MS hardware changes or because the Kionix device is not working.
Thanks for the suggestion. DaveD

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well if there is not even a button in the action center then i don't know why you are still waiting to return it. Definitely not as designed. Would certainly infuriate me as well.

Do you get any rotation lock based results when you type rotate into the start menu?

I just checked on my partners SP3 which had a format and clean install using an ISO from the MS website, and the option is there as well.

For reference i've had my partners SP3 on windows 10 since day one, and have done untold re-installs from ISO's and updates sourced from various official and unofficial locations, and rotation lock has always worked. It does sound like it might be a hardware issue. (on my SP4 i had a screen based hardware issue but MS refused to accept this and were adamant it could only be software and i sould waste my days going through various lengthy problem solving tactics, the general worthless generic ones all companies push so as not to lose faith and admit the hardware is fubarred, so i said sod off and returned it for refund and purchased another)

Last edited:
OP
D

dld44

Why haven't I exchanged it already? A one-hundred mile drive in heavy traffic on I-95 to the DC area and the nearest Microsoft store, with no certain outcome? Spend gazillions of hours with MS online and on the phone, reading and listening to bromides, and then send it in to MS, wait, and hope for a device that works better than the one I am exchanging? Re-install my W10 environment on a replacement (?new?) SP3? (I do take regular BUs with Retrospect, which has saved my ar*e many times over the last 15 or so years, so that may not be such a big deal.) hughlle, there are lots of reasons to try to get it to work first. (It is obvious from your entry that you are attuned to the problem.) But I am about at the end of my rope!

But thanks for the helpful information. Was your partner's SP3 purchased around the time of or after I purchased mine?

When I type "rotate" into the search screen it sends me to the W10 setting "Change the screen orientation". "autorotate" returns nothing. I am running a local account with most of the W10-specific online capabilities disabled, so SP3 searching is somewhat limited by comparison to using what's-her'name.

More responses, please. Is this an issue with my SP3 alone or are others experiencing it?

DaveD

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why haven't I exchanged it already? A one-hundred mile drive in heavy traffic on I-95 to the DC area and the nearest Microsoft store, with no certain outcome? Spend gazillions of hours with MS online and on the phone, reading and listening to bromides, and then send it in to MS, wait, and hope for a device that works better than the one I am exchanging? Re-install my W10 environment on a replacement (?new?) SP3? (I do take regular BUs with Retrospect, which has saved my ar*e many times over the last 15 or so years, so that may not be such a big deal.) hughlle, there are lots of reasons to try to get it to work first. (It is obvious from your entry that you are attuned to the problem.) But I am about at the end of my rope!

But thanks for the helpful information. Was your partner's SP3 purchased around the time of or after I purchased mine?

When I type "rotate" into the search screen it sends me to the W10 setting "Change the screen orientation". "autorotate" returns nothing. I am running a local account with most of the W10-specific online capabilities disabled, so SP3 searching is somewhat limited by comparison to using what's-her'name.

More responses, please. Is this an issue with my SP3 alone or are others experiencing it?

DaveD

The only reason i mentioned simply returning it is just from my one issue with MS the other day and it became apparent that i would be playing around for days to find a solution that didn't work (to me it seemed that they would rather have me download dozens of gigabytes of this and that and waste days of my own time, instead of just saying hey, it's not working right, let's send you a replacement. It is almost like they would prefer the customer to be hugely inconvenienced so that they get as few devices returned as possible) so just requested they email me a return label and had UPS pick it up. With my SP3, any issues or comaplints were dealt with in a "no questions asked" manner, while this time it sees to be "returning the device is our least desirable option so stall them"

My partners SP3 is only hers as of today, her birthday; prior to that it was mine and was pre-ordered on launch.

It really is strange. I've come across threads about autorotate not working on the sp3, but never about there not even being the button in the action center. That is what is really baffling and suggests that it may indeed be hardware related.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@dld44

If you swipe your finger from the right edge of the screen leftward, then Expand^, do you see the "Rotation Lock" tile?

compnovo

I had the same problem with my SP3 after the upgrade to Win10 and couldn't find the source of the problem. I finally did a reset and the problem was resolved. In fact, the system is running better than ever.

OP
D

dld44

sharp: No. None of that. It doesn't exist. No accelerometer driver, no autorotate, no autorotate lock.

compnovo: A reset is something I really don't want to do, as my SP3 is extensively customized with many applications (non MS) installed. As I understand it a reset gives me at best an option to keep my data but I will have to reinstall my applications. All in all, the possibility of getting autorotation to work (and the probability of not) by resetting my SP3 is probably not worth the effort of rebuilding my system.

That said, I just discovered a whole herd of sensor testing apps in the MS App store. Like everything else from the app store the interfaces, settings, and any other information that could be of some use have all been removed or really dumbed down. But every one of the several available sensor testing apps do indeed tell me that my sensors are functional. The sensors consist of accelerometer, compass, gyrometer, inclinometer light sensor, and orientation sensor (alas, no GPS, another reason to not embrace Microsoft's approach to trying to have a major presence in the tablet game, but that's another subject).

So if I discover some day soon that I have a major amount of time on hand, I may do a reset and see where that takes me. But first, with the assurance that I do indeed have a functioning piece of accelerometer hardware, I may try again to make it work.

I'm still looking for additional input.
Thanks, DaveD

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@dld44

Try the two-finger reboot, if you haven't already: From cold, hold Power up + Volume Up buttons for 15 seconds. After boot up, check for updates again.