What's new

Average temperature Under load?

darkfangex

My surface pro 2 hit 69c is that normal? I was wondering because i have a Manvek case on it and it seems to run hotter with it on :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

benjitek

My surface pro 2 hit 69c is that normal? I was wondering because i have a Manvek case on it and it seems to run hotter with it on :confused::confused::confused:
I think the Surface Pro 2 runs pretty warm, in general, for a tablet. If your case blocks the cooling vents, you might want to rethink it. I read somewhere that the metal of the SP2 is made to dissipate heat quickly, so even if you're not covering the vents you're preventing the device from working as designed...

jrapdx

I have to agree with benjitek re: blocking the vents or "insulating" the computer's surface reduces cooling by convection or radiation from the shell of the computer, which doesn't seem optimum for the computer's health. In common with other devices, metal construction may be part of the thermal design, augmenting the transfer of heat from electronic components to the "skin" of the case where the heat energy can be dissipated into the environment. Wearing a heavy jacket during strenuous exercise in the summer doesn't make sense.

How warm does it get? My SP2 is stark naked. I've been monitoring the temperature using a nice, free utility, Core Temp. Under ordinary load, CPU utilization <=5%, temp stays at 35/C or below. When the CPU load gets up there, say >30%, I've seen the temp rise as high as 74/C. At that point the SP2 case feels distinctly warm. So far, I've not heard the fans operate, though that's been reported in association with intense engagement of the GPU. Anyway, the max core temp is 100/C, and luckily haven't seen temps any closer to that limit than in the 70's.

Last edited:

Philtastic

From mine and other testing, the SP2 throttles once it hits 80 degrees Celcius to prevent overheating. Under intense load (eg. a video game), the SP2 easily hits 80 degrees.

godzillinois

From mine and other testing, the SP2 throttles once it hits 80 degrees Celcius to prevent overheating. Under intense load (eg. a video game), the SP2 easily hits 80 degrees.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was looking for average temperatures for my Surface Pro (original.) I've never owned a PC before so I don't know anything about average computer temperature. I know our tablets run hot (I was actually surprised to hear that the Surface Pro 2 still suffered this same problem, I thought the Haswell processors were supposed to run cooler) but I was wondering what 'safe' temperatures were? I thought I read somewhere that too much overheating can warp chips or what not.

Whenever I run Manga Studio (an art program and the reason I bought the tablet) my temperatures routinely run 120-135 degrees FAHRENHEIT (which I think is around 49-58 Celsius?) I was wondering if that was normal or if it were a safe temperature to run under for extended periods of time? I don't use any cases (yet) but I do sometimes use the Type Cover 2. I draw alot with it resting on my lap or a table so I don't normally cover my vents either. I was actually all ready to bring it back to Best Buy to possibly exchange it as a defective unit until I read this thread. So I figured I should ask first before jumping to conclusions and erasing everything I've installed and done with my Surface.

Again I apologize if I shouldn't be asking this here, I just figured "Average temperature Under Load" applied to my questions despite them not being about the Pro 2 or gaming.

superpupz

My fan turns on with minimal usage.... after about 10 minutes of being turned on, the fan goes on.... is that normal. I would expect that during game play or video watching, but not under normal web browsing and emailing? Anyone else having issues?

be77solo

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was looking for average temperatures for my Surface Pro (original.) I've never owned a PC before so I don't know anything about average computer temperature. I know our tablets run hot (I was actually surprised to hear that the Surface Pro 2 still suffered this same problem, I thought the Haswell processors were supposed to run cooler) but I was wondering what 'safe' temperatures were? I thought I read somewhere that too much overheating can warp chips or what not.

Whenever I run Manga Studio (an art program and the reason I bought the tablet) my temperatures routinely run 120-135 degrees FAHRENHEIT (which I think is around 49-58 Celsius?) I was wondering if that was normal or if it were a safe temperature to run under for extended periods of time? I don't use any cases (yet) but I do sometimes use the Type Cover 2. I draw alot with it resting on my lap or a table so I don't normally cover my vents either. I was actually all ready to bring it back to Best Buy to possibly exchange it as a defective unit until I read this thread. So I figured I should ask first before jumping to conclusions and erasing everything I've installed and done with my Surface.

Again I apologize if I shouldn't be asking this here, I just figured "Average temperature Under Load" applied to my questions despite them not being about the Pro 2 or gaming.

Your temps of 50-60C are perfectly normal and as designed. In fact, they are significantly less than the 80c where MS throttles the CPU to limit the heat. You can run what you are doing with Manga Studio all day without worry. :)

And regarding the temp "problem" you mentioned, its actually not a problem; it's simply reality of having a full speed i5 CPU on such a small form factor. Most other tablets that feel cooler to the touch have slower lower voltage/speed CPU's.

As stated above, when pushing the CPU/GPU hard, you'll see temps up to around 80C. This too is normal and as designed.

godzillinois

Your temps of 50-60C are perfectly normal and as designed. In fact, they are significantly less than the 80c where MS throttles the CPU to limit the heat. You can run what you are doing with Manga Studio all day without worry. :)

And regarding the temp "problem" you mentioned, its actually not a problem; it's simply reality of having a full speed i5 CPU on such a small form factor. Most other tablets that feel cooler to the touch have slower lower voltage/speed CPU's.

As stated above, when pushing the CPU/GPU hard, you'll see temps up to around 80C. This too is normal and as designed.

That's great to know, thanks! It's hard to gauge 'normal' for me with the Surface Pro technically being a new/hybrid machine and with me being new to PCs.