What's new

Avoid Yahoo Messenger for proper tablet sleep and longer battery life

kevinlevrone

Hi,

Not sure if it has been posted on here, but I traced my tablet sleep problems to Yahoo Messenger. I would put the tablet to sleep fully charged when I left work and when I got home or about two hours later it was at like 40% charge (and warm).

A powercfg /ENERGY command revealed that the Yahoo Messenger modifies the interrupt timer to wake the processor up much frequently than system default.

When I closed Yahoo Messenger, the battery charge went from 100% to only 96% during the one hour sleep. Over 12 hours, the tablet went from 100% to only 95% without Yahoo Messenger.

For now, I developed a habit of closing the application before putting the tablet to sleep, and have even stopped using it.

I read something about a new version coming, if that doesn't fix the problems I will stop using it for good.

What's funny is that the Android version is also a power hog that halves the battery life if installed.

Not sure what kind of engineers does Yahoo have.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Kristal from an elevated CMD Prompt type powercfg.exe -energy and then copy the HTML report called energy.html from the System32 folder to your profile and open in IE.

GoodBytes

In non-RT Surface, it's impossible for userspace programs to reduce battery life during sleep.
This is because the Surface Pro doesn't support Connected Standby or Intel Smart Connect, so during sleep it is basically stuck sleeping until hardware wakes it. Software can't.

powercfg /energy only shows counters that are valid when the device is awake.

So if you were experiencing reduced battery life..
a) Either Yahoo was entirely preventing sleep (which would be VERY bad)
b) It was something else

OP
K

kevinlevrone

In non-RT Surface, it's impossible for userspace programs to reduce battery life during sleep.
This is because the Surface Pro doesn't support Connected Standby or Intel Smart Connect, so during sleep it is basically stuck sleeping until hardware wakes it. Software can't.

powercfg /energy only shows counters that are valid when the device is awake.

So if you were experiencing reduced battery life..
a) Either Yahoo was entirely preventing sleep (which would be VERY bad)
b) It was something else

Yes, the Yahoo Messenger is preventing sleep.