What's new

Back for one more try

raqball

I had the 15 / 8 / 256 for about 3 months and ended up selling it because I had a horrible run on them as far as quality control goes. I believe I went through 4 SP3's in that time.

One had a faulty fan where the MS store tech said the fan was not ramping up. One had screen separation, one had dead pixels and I can't remember what the other was.. Maybe I had 3 replacements instead of 4..

Anywho.

I tried out the Yoga 3 Pro and didn't end up liking it. It's nice but not for me.

My previous SP3 was probably overkill spec wise for my needs. I use it as a tablet 90% of the time and as a home based and very light PC usage the other 10%. This time around I opted for the i3 / 4 / 64 and believe I will be fine with it for what my usage is..

I ordered from the MS store because I don't feel like fighting LA traffic to get to the store and next day shipping was only like $15.. Heck I would have spent that in gas alone just sitting on the 405 in a traffic jam.

Fingers crossed this one is flaw free.. Has the QC issue improved any recently as the manufacture date increases?

mennogreg

Any product that you've had to replace four times is a sign to pass on the product line entirely. At this point you'll be examining every aspect of the SP3 and wondering if it'll develop into one of those issues you had previously. You've got an i3, so it may have less issues because its lower-power, so maybe its worth another shot, but I would move onto a product line you're more confident in unless the SP3 really is the ideal usage fit for you.

OP
raqball

raqball

Any product that you've had to replace four times is a sign to pass on the product line entirely. At this point you'll be examining every aspect of the SP3 and wondering if it'll develop into one of those issues you had previously. You've got an i3, so it may have less issues because its lower-power, so maybe its worth another shot, but I would move onto a product line you're more confident in unless the SP3 really is the ideal usage fit for you.

Well I currently have a retina Macbook Pro and an iPhone.. And I am very confident in their quality. BUT

I absolutely loved the size and weight of the SP3 and I've missed it. I won't be eyeballing the new SP3 like a hawk as my other QC issues were obvious flaws. I had the yellow stripe on the side on all of them and didn't care. One came brand new in box with a small scratch on the top and I didn't care..

As long as the obvious QC issues are fine, then I should be a-ok.

That is the SP3 that I have as well. I hope you don't have any problems.

I opted for it for a few reasons. My last SP3 (an even my current Macbook) are serious overkill for my needs. The i3 / 4 / 64 should be fine and may even still be overkill.. LOL

I have the unlimited One Drive storage, I have 1 TB of Google Drive storage and I am fine with keeping things on the cloud..

VickiFL

Well I currently have a retina Macbook Pro and an iPhone.. And I am very confident in their quality. BUT

I absolutely loved the size and weight of the SP3 and I've missed it. I won't be eyeballing the new SP3 like a hawk as my other QC issues were obvious flaws. I had the yellow stripe on the side on all of them and didn't care. One came brand new in box with a small scratch on the top and I didn't care..

As long as the obvious QC issues are fine, then I should be a-ok.

I opted for it for a few reasons. My last SP3 (an even my current Macbook) are serious overkill for my needs. The i3 / 4 / 64 should be fine and may even still be overkill.. LOL

I have the unlimited One Drive storage, I have 1 TB of Google Drive storage and I am fine with keeping things on the cloud..

You'll probably be fine with the i3. Just so you know, I am on my 3rd replacement SP3, but this last one seems to be ok. (knocks on different kinds of wood)

OP
raqball

raqball

You'll probably be fine with the i3. Just so you know, I am on my 3rd replacement SP3, but this last one seems to be ok. (knocks on different kinds of wood)

This is what I am worried about.. I assume the QC issues have not been resolved as new units come off the production line?

When I got my 1st one it was close to release date so issues can be expected but most companies will see the problem and adjust at the point of assembly..

Maybe the glue is an issue so they switch to something else ect..

VickiFL

I honestly have no idea. I just want my SP3 to work because I really love it. None of my issues involved over heating, but that doesn't really surprise me.

bluegrass

As for as I'm concerned their weren't any QC issues from the get go. I bought mine the first day they were available. I disagree on not making the effort to drive through traffic & yes, I have dealt with LA freeway traffic before. Even if I had to drive a hundred miles to a MS store, that's where I would put my money. Nothing like having one on one experience when purchasing a new product like the Surface.

OP
raqball

raqball

As for as I'm concerned their weren't any QC issues from the get go. I bought mine the first day they were available. I disagree on not making the effort to drive through traffic & yes, I have dealt with LA freeway traffic before. Even if I had to drive a hundred miles to a MS store, that's where I would put my money. Nothing like having one on one experience when purchasing a new product like the Surface.

To each their own.. I don't need the one on one experience and it's most definitely not worth the traffic headache to get it.. If it has an issue then and only then will I fight the traffic and go to the MS store.. The Beverly Hills store is the closest to me and getting to that place is a mess, plus you have to pay for parking, and it ain't cheap... I'll pass on the one on one..

You've dealt with the LA traffic before? Do it every day and see if you change your mind.. :p

megatronium

To each their own.. I don't need the one on one experience and it's most definitely not worth the traffic headache to get it.. If it has an issue then and only then will I fight the traffic and go to the MS store.. The Beverly Hills store is the closest to me and getting to that place is a mess, plus you have to pay for parking, and it ain't cheap... I'll pass on the one on one..

You've dealt with the LA traffic before? Do it every day and see if you change your mind.. :p

You must be rich living near Beverly Hills! What is your job? I may need to reevaluate my career choice :( Welcome back!