What's new

Back to 8.1 I go... but wait!

Ben Freedman

After spending a couple of weeks with 10 on my surface pro 3, I've used the 'recover' feature to go back to 8.1...

Why? Don't like the new mail app, I miss the touch-friendly 8.1 IE. My apps were crashing, hanging, lagging... Several 8.1 touch apps didn't work well anymore. It was just a mess. Maybe it'll get better, but after having the new mail crash on me about 10 times in a row... I'd had enough...

So, of course, I can go back to 8.1 easily as promised, right? Not really... Going back wasn't an issue, but where's the mail app? Corrupted... Won't uninstall... won't reinstall... Ugh!

Another few hours of messing around and I'm finally close to being where I left off 2 weeks ago...

This may be a great upgrade for some... especially if you primarily use your SP3 as a laptop, but I am about 50-50 between laptop and tablet, and I think Windows 10 is currently a step backwards in usability and reliability...

Just my 2 cents...

Ben

fletch33

i had issues and went to 8.1 then before doing anything i upgraded to 10 and so far everything works.

all my PDFs open with built in adobe reader and the Mail app FINALLY shows the links in my email as hyperlinks and i dont have to copy and paste them all.

if you are able to try a clean install i believe you may solve your issues

OP
B

Ben Freedman

Howdy...

Just a quick update. I've been back on 8.1 for a day now, and the whole tablet just feels snappier, more responsive, and better organized.

I may try a 'clean install' at sometime in the future, but for now, 8.1 will work just fine for me.

Ben

dajogejr

I upgraded to 10 the day after it came out. Within 2 days, back to 8.1. Over the weekend, decided to do a 100% wipe and clean install of 10.
It was better than the upgrade (fresh install of OS and all apps). Within another week, back to a fresh, clean install of 8.1

I can see promise of 10. I use it without issue on several desktop computers.
But I use my SP3 Pro as my only computer.
Dock at work with external Keyboard, monitor and mouse and a hardwired internet, I also take it around the office to work on trouble tickets, diagnostics, etc.
At home, I use it 99% of the time as a tablet in desktop mode. I never use MUI unless I'm forced to use an MUI app (Wireless adapter comes to mind)

Even on the clean install of 10, it would forget or...not connect automatically to saved wireless APs once I popped it off the dock. 8.1, no problem.
Pen issues (One Note Desktop, which I'm sure will be fixed), battery killer, wake from sleep issues.
Again, I see promise in 10. But as I've said elsewhere. SP3 Pro is MS's flagship device. I would expect it to be the most polished hardware platform for 10 and...it's just not.

OP
B

Ben Freedman

...and I use MUI probably 80-90% of the time.... yet for each of us, 10 is NOT the right way to go...

...at least not yet.

Best,

Ben

...and I use MUI probably 80-90% of the time.... yet for each of us, 10 is NOT the right way to go...

...at least not yet.

Best,

Ben

Same here. Just look how unreliable Windows 10 is, but it's not a show stopper for me yet
Capture.PNG