What's new

Backup Batch File

MickeyLittle

Years ago I remember creating a batch file in DOS that would backup different document folders and only the files that had changed since the last backup. Well I am simply looking for some simple method so that I can easily control when and what I want to be backed up. Any ideas?

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Do you like File History? I looked at it am have it running actually but the longest wait time I can get is daily and since I never know what time I'm going to actually have my surface plugged up to my dock it seems to be moss miss than hit for me. Now with a stationary desktop I agree because your backup drive will always be powered on but with mine being plugged into my dock and my Surface not plugged in, well nothing happens.

This is why I'm looking for a simple way the I can possible create an icon to tap and 30-60 seconds later all updated files or new files have been backed up.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do a quick search for a Backup Batch File using RoboCopy and WinDif...

I use a NAS that attaches to my Router so it is always available...

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Can you recommend a good NAS? I currently have a 3TB external hard drive and I'm kicking myself because I let the guy at BB talk me out of getting the Network Sharing version. I have set this one up as best as I can on the Home Group sharing with it hooked up to my dock but every time that my Surface goes to sleep good or gets unplugged my wife's PC cannot find this shared drive!

All I want to do is be able to back up her docs, pics, etch and mine and keep them backed up. Once or twice a week is often enough for what we do.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does Router Support plugging hard drives? If not, your money would be better spent on a New Router (Netgear R7000 Nighthawk) and plugging you existing 3TB External into it...

I'm using the GoFlex Home NAS myself...with another older external plugged into the router above...

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I'm not sure as this is a setup from AT&T for U-Verse. So there is the Router, a Wireless Access Point, and another box. All 3 of these boxes are inches away from each other. I'll have to look closer when I get home. Am I looking to see if one of these has a USB port for the hard drive to plug into?

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

That looks good but I read a couple reviews about 2TB per port and then I saw this statement which makes me think that my 3TB may not work.

"The CiragoLink+ Network USB Storage turns any USB mass storage device into a networked attached storage. With 4 USB ports on the CiragoLink+ and a maximum capacity of 2 TB per USB port, you can have up to 8 TB of storage connected to your network and your own personal cloud at your fingertips."

So maybe I need to look around for another variation of this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That looks good but I read a couple reviews about 2TB per port and then I saw this statement which makes me think that my 3TB may not work.

"The CiragoLink+ Network USB Storage turns any USB mass storage device into a networked attached storage. With 4 USB ports on the CiragoLink+ and a maximum capacity of 2 TB per USB port, you can have up to 8 TB of storage connected to your network and your own personal cloud at your fingertips."

So maybe I need to look around for another variation of this?

For MBR disks the maximum size 2TB, you need to use GPT for anything larger, so that means that the NAW device doesn't read GPT disks...oh well. Another option would be getting a cheap Zotak or Intel NUC type PC to use as a home server. Or replace the router :)