What's new

Backup OS ?

B

BChat

1st of all - thanks to all who answered my previous inquiries - Pro 3 alive and well here.

2nd of all - my issue is backing up the OS. I usually install Acronis True Image and back up to a separate SSD, booting to an Acronis USB drive for recovering images. I have an external SSD caddy, but it is USB and can't be used. I though of making another partition on the SSD, plenty of room, but that idea left as quickly as it came.
Is there another way to hook up an external drive to the Pro 3 - I haven't figured one out yet.

3rd of all - there is no 3rd of all - thanks again to all

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
How about using an external drive attached to your network? Many routers have a USB port for this, and many inexpensive drives are also WiFi network-aware. Just plug it in, if your fingers are not too short and chubby to do so. :) Also, if you have any other computers on your home network, the drive can be attached there.

OP
B

BChat

I had the wireless idea cross my mind, the network idea didn't. I can never keep my toys all connected to the network at the same time. ..:eek:
You have given me "food for thought" as the saying goes - let the research begin.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, USB hub?
There's a thread here someone wrote on using Acronis although, I believe, Macrium Reflect works with UEFI Secure Boot but Acronis does not.

OP
B

BChat

USB hub, I know very little about them, but I was under the impression that only one device at a time can be accessed...probably wrong.

leeshor

USB hub, I know very little about them, but I was under the impression that only one device at a time can be accessed...probably wrong.
If the HUB is powered it's pretty flexible. If unpowered there could be an issue with multiple devise depending on their power requirements.

olimjj

I like that the hawking unit also has an Ethernet port which means you have the option to connect it to your routers port and take full advantage of the link speeds.