What's new

Backup Solution - Hardware, Software, Perfect for Surface, Low Cost, PC Mac Phone

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
There is lots of competition out there for hardware and software backup solutions, ranging from external drives via USB, Wifi, or home/office networks, and cloud services. Software titles range from brute force MS-DOS batch files to smart file manager utilities, SecondCopy, Genie, NovaBackup, Symantec, InSync, and many others. I like Acronis True Image 2014.But even if you have software you prefer, the hardware I've found might enhance your overall backup habits and performance.

Like many PC and Mac users, I've been around this block several times.

Now that the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 is part of my life, I wanted to post about a solution that works perfectly for me. I didn't know whether to post this in Accessories, Apps, General Surface, or Surface Pro 2, because it applies to all.

I have about 180 GB of audio files (MP3) and 200 GB of multimedia and photos. I would like to have these available locally (hardware), because I do lots of multimedia work for organizations, but I don't want them to be installed onto my Microsoft Surface Pro 2 256K platform.

NEEDS:
- Travel with all my media (400 GB). These are on my home network, but when I am away from home, I might want to use them. Then when home, I want to be able to update or sync this library with my home collection.
- Full backup of my PC (Surface). Not just files. Everything. If the OS (Windows) is re-installed clean, I want to be able to restore the computer immediately afterwards. If I get a different PC, I want to be able to install all my stuff on the new device.
- Can backup and restore PC or Mac
- Lightweight. Can travel easily without adding much bulk or brick.
- Plenty of space
- No separate power supply
- USB 2.0 or 3.0
- Mac and PC

SOLUTION:
The Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2 TB portable drive is extra slim and meets all these needs.
- Drive is not much bigger than my iPhone. Hardy, solid, and round edges.
- Backup software is included. Not poor 3rd party quality, but a complete re-write compatible with Mac (up to Mavericks), PCs, and smartphones.
- If I want my Tunes rather than Pandora, etc., I plug it in and start iTunes, Windows Media Center, - or other players.
- Can backup any smartphone, too.
- Backed up my SP2 from nothing in 12 minutes. Incremental backups take about 35 seconds.
- Though I continue to use iCloud, OneDrive, and Dropbox in various ways, this one gives me the most peace of mind, and best access.

The word "Slim" has been added to the packaging since I bought mine. Yes, it is slim, at only 12.1 mm width.
Read a professional review - Seagate Backup Plus Slim.

Price ranges $75 to $120 US.
Sleeping better. Worth it. :)

seagate_back_3.JPG

seagate_back_4.JPG

Not much longer than the distance between your ESC and Ctrl keys.
seagate_back_5.JPG

seagate_back_2.JPG

seagate_back_1.JPG

Screenshot (82).png

Screenshot (83).png

Screenshot (84).png

Screenshot (85).png

Screenshot (86).png

Screenshot (87).png

Screenshot (89).png

As great backup software in general, I prefer Acronis True Image 2014 due to its ease of use, and compatibility with Windows 8.1.
Here are a couple of screenshots.

Screenshot (90).png

Screenshot (91).png

Last edited:

Wayne Orwig

So that is powered off of the USB 3.0 port?
What if you want to run it off of and older port?

A while back I experimented with a dozen backup programs and ended up with SyncBackSE. Easy to use and did exactly what I wanted.
Last winter I got a 3TB Seagate drive, and it included some software. I did not use it, assuming it was the typical garbage that you get.

I like that size, it is about a match for my external battery pack.

Korlon

These Hd's are very handy. I looked at the Seagate but opted for the WD My Passport 2TB drive. It has been a model of convenience. The only issue I have with it is 2 TB fills up mighty fast with unlimited downloads. Maybe this year they'll find a way to increase the size of these drives while keeping them portable and independent of a wall plug.

In case you're wondering why the WD and not the Seagate? I just preferred the look of the WD drive. They are both good quality drives and both come with great backup and management software.

** P.S**

2 things I discovered when I picked this HD up are:

1) If you are going to connect it to a USB Hub, be sure you have a powered hub. Don't use USB splitters. It may not work as the HD needs to draw enough power to operate (which is pretty close to what the USB delivers without splitting)

2) The USB cables are short on these drives, but they are short for a reason. The cable I got is about 1 Ft long, I tried a longer cable and the USB didn't power up. I assume there too much resistance in the wire to allow enough current to the drive, but that's speculation on my part.

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
1) If you are going to connect it to a USB Hub, be sure you have a powered hub. Don't use USB splitters. It may not work as the HD needs to draw enough power to operate (which is pretty close to what the USB delivers without splitting)

2) The USB cables are short on these drives, but they are short for a reason. The cable I got is about 1 Ft long, I tried a longer cable and the USB didn't power up. I assume there too much resistance in the wire to allow enough current to the drive, but that's speculation on my part.

Good point. I already have a few Passport drives around here, which I use for MacBooks I chose the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2 TB because of those power supply concerns. I use this drive with my hub just fine on battery power, though I have not tried it while also powering a DVD drive.

kristalsoldier

Good point. I already have a few Passport drives around here, which I use for MacBooks I chose the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2 TB because of those power supply concerns. I use this drive with my hub just fine on battery power, though I have not tried it while also powering a DVD drive.

Thanks. This is very helpful for me now as I am in the market for storage. My question is whether this works with the Surface 2 RT.

Deckyon

Ok, cool. SSD is over 1TB now, but yes, very expensive overall. I am looking for a solution for my parents with 3 computers.

This, looks nice for me, personally, for putting movies on the drive so I can take them with for watching on trips.

Thanks for the info!!!

Korlon

Just to add, seagate now has a 4tb portable drive available. 2x2tb drives in a raid 0 configuration. Looking to pick one up as soon as one is available locally.

beq

The Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2 TB portable drive is extra slim and meets all these needs.
I like how this Seagate is stated to be only 0.48" thick for both the 2TB and 1TB models, whereas the WD My Passport Slim 2TB drive is 0.70" thick (only the 1TB is 0.48" thick).

The Seagate is also just 0.35lb for both models, whereas the WD 2TB is heavier at 0.48lb (although the 1TB is only 0.30lb).

Then again I'd bought several of the original WD My Passport 2TB drives when they first came out (the first 2TB portable bus-powered model on the market), so I'm not in a hurry to buy more right now...

- Full backup of my PC (Surface). Not just files. Everything. If the OS (Windows) is re-installed clean, I want to be able to restore the computer immediately afterwards. If I get a different PC, I want to be able to install all my stuff on the new device.
Hmm I haven't used the bundled software from WD or Seagate, but now curious. Does it do block-level drive imaging or file-based copy? Does it support VSS for locked and system files?

Just to add, seagate now has a 4tb portable drive available. 2x2tb drives in a raid 0 configuration. Looking to pick one up as soon as one is available locally.
Just curious, have you confirmed whether this model can indeed be powered off just the Surface's single USB port (ie. not needing a USB Y-cable)?