What's new

Battery being used a lot in sleep mode.

André Sousa

Hello, guys.

I have a Surface Pro 3 dor almost one year now and since I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Final Release, The Surface seems to be using the battery a lot even on sleep mode.

If I leave it at 100%, put it on sleep mode and open it 7 hours later, the battery would be at 30-40%.

Can someone help me, please?
Thank you!

NeilG

I had a similar issue, I had 40% plus power drain overnight. The sleepstudy report highlighted the micro SD card as the offender. Removing the card stopped the problem.

NeilG

If you run powercfg with the /sleepstudy option in an Admin command prompt there's loads of information as to what the PC is doing while in connected standby. The report is written to \windows\system32\sleepstudy.

If you run powercfg with the /sleepstudy option in an Admin command prompt there's loads of information as to what the PC is doing while in connected standby. The report is written to \windows\system32\sleepstudy.
Yeah I know, but how do you know what is the offender based on that study? It doesnt say in mine.

mark8900

from another topic
I was on W10 as well for 5 days and this happened to me A LOT. I tried to look for things to make it better as well. I am back on 8.1 now, but in my investigations, I discovered a page WAYYYYYY deep in the Settings page (Start, Settings, Privacy - Scroll down to Background Apps) and there were 20 programs just clicking away in the background for...some reason? Why the hell does Sudoku need to run in the background? Amazon? Background wallpapers? Yeah...turned all of THOSE off and about 15 more...All of those may have been sucking battery, but Still didn't seem to help very much.

I had Cortana running for a couple of days...boy did that eat my CPU AND suck down the battery and only really worked about 1 in 4 times, so I turned it off too.

..but, like you, I never DID find one overall culprit for the heat / battery issue which is why I went back to 8.1. I hope you have better luck than I. I WANT to be on W10, but I am gong to wait for a couple updates down the road before trying again.

On a desktop plugged into the wall all the time? All of this would not be noticeable, but on our tablets? Yeah...Not the best implementation.

I think I found a fix.
In task scheduler, library - microsoft - windows - updateorchestrator - reboot. Right click - Properties - conditions, uncheck wake up system to perform this task.

I had 2% battery drain overnight. Just as in windows 8.1.

Had horrible battery drain and the sleep study seems to point to the SD card. Took it out and now system is reporting much better battery life.

Sequel

I think I found a fix.
In task scheduler, library - microsoft - windows - updateorchestrator - reboot. Right click - Properties - conditions, uncheck wake up system to perform this task.

I had 2% battery drain overnight. Just as in windows 8.1.

Thank you so much for this! I did this yesterday and today was the first day since July 29th that I didn't have a dead battery in the morning.

Dunwa

Same problem here. I notice a setting in the power & sleep, "when on battery stay connected to WiFi". Let's see if that changes anything.