What's new

Battery charge estimates inconsistent

Turbo4AWD

Noticed that at one moment, my Surface Pro 6 says that there are "3 minutes left till fully charged", then "1 minute until fully charged" becomes "9 minutes until fully charged". Is this normal behavior for the charging estimates? I wonder what would throw this off and cause the time to go up if the device is plugged in and idle (not powered off, just idle). I'm not even on a docking station or connected to any Bluetooth devices. Just the detachable keyboard is connected and that's it. Curious if anyone else is experiencing this with their Surface Pro 6 (….or older Surface Pro..).

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This is normal. The calculation is based upon software projections from instantaneous voltage sensors, which can surge and decline a bit.

This is similar to projecting end-of-day stock closing price based solely upon 1 minute of transactions, or the balance in your bank checking account based solely upon the last 1 minute of spending rate, or the arrival time of your car trip based solely upon the speed detected by your GPS of the last 1 minute of driving. All of these are not truly accurate until the end of the day or the end of the trip. :)

Plantje

Which Windows 10 version do you use? With my new Surface Pro 5 I'm on 1903 and haven't used previous versions on it. I notice that the power indicator is not that fast. For example: I can connect the power brick and only after minutes the tablet shows that it is connected and charging.
But then again, I haven't used this Surface Pro with different Windows 10 versions. So I'm not sure if it is the tablet or this Windows version

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Which Windows 10 version do you use? With my new Surface Pro 5 I'm on 1903 and haven't used previous versions on it. I notice that the power indicator is not that fast. For example: I can connect the power brick and only after minutes the tablet shows that it is connected and charging.
But then again, I haven't used this Surface Pro with different Windows 10 versions. So I'm not sure if it is the tablet or this Windows version

1903 Build 18362.239.

I'm agreeing more with Sharpuser. I went out of the battery status and back into it and immediately it went to "fully charged". So its not completely random, but it may show different "time till fully charged" times. All good. Just was my first time witnessing it.