What's new

Battery Chazrging issue

Korlon

For the last 2 days I've noticed my battery stops charging at 79 to 80%. What happens is I let the sp2 charge for a while when down to about 10-15% then when I restart the battery is at either 79 or 80, says its plugged in but not charging.

I read on another post here that using the power button with the + volume to reboot solves the issue, but it did not work for me. Is my battery REALLY wearing out after 2 months with the sp2? I only charge when the battery is below 20%. When fully charged it usually lasts me from 8am to about 5 pm but today it gave me a warning at 2pm but won't fully charge.

Any ideas? Would hate to exchange this machine which, other than this issue, has worked almost flawlessly.

jrapdx

For the last 2 days I've noticed my battery stops charging at 79 to 80%. What happens is I let the sp2 charge for a while when down to about 10-15% then when I restart the battery is at either 79 or 80, says its plugged in but not charging.

I read on another post here that using the power button with the + volume to reboot solves the issue, but it did not work for me. Is my battery REALLY wearing out after 2 months with the sp2? I only charge when the battery is below 20%. When fully charged it usually lasts me from 8am to about 5 pm but today it gave me a warning at 2pm but won't fully charge.

Any ideas? Would hate to exchange this machine which, other than this issue, has worked almost flawlessly.

I guess it's not clear to me. Did the 80% charging start happening in the last few days? Was it happening before then? When did the problem show up? How many power cycles does your SP2 report?

If the problem really is new, not occurring in the first several weeks you've owned it, then it's possible it could be a bad battery. For example, I replaced the battery of my wife's computer about a year ago. She runs it on battery power maybe once a week, so let's say 50 power cycles. A couple of days ago she said the battery didn't seem to be lasting very long, getting less duration on battery vs. when battery was just installed. I'm going to carefully check out how much decrement there has been, but it's probably pronounced.

Battery failure can be a bad problem. I know of instances where pacemaker batteries--I'd think these would be "high grade" items--have started to get low after a year or 18 months. Their design lifespan is at minimum 4 to 5 years. Obviously even premium samples are subject to premature EOL.

Your problem is a bit different. Thinking out loud (noisily), the charge limitation may be the result of a hardware malfunction, or partial battery failure. Both could occur suddenly. Software/driver errors usually don't crop up at a late point, but who knows, it's conceivable an update exposed a problem, or another update will resolve it, though either way updates are unlikely culprits. (OK . end-thinking-now)

If you haven't already done so, run a report with "powercfg /batteryreport" at a command prompt. Have the report handy when you call technical support, or talking it over with the tech staff at an MS Store.

Other folks here may know a lot more than I do and offer better suggestions. Whatever actions you take to resolve the problem, please let us know what you find out. Always more to learn about these complicated "devices".

OP
K

Korlon

Well, it appears I corrected the issue, although I have no idea how one affects the other. This is what happened...

Earlier this past weekend I read a thread about how some experience transfer rate drops with their WiFi, and since I experience the same effects when moving into a 'particular' room in the house I followed someone's suggestion of turning Selective Suspend off in the Marvell WiFi adapter settings. I completely forgot I made the change until about 30 minutes ago and returned the setting to enabled. As soon as I did I rebooted and now my battery is up to 89% and still charging.

The only concern I read about by making this change is the possibility of consuming the charge faster, apparently on my sp2 it just prevents the battery from fully charging somehow.

jrapdx

Well, it appears I corrected the issue, although I have no idea how one affects the other. This is what happened...

Earlier this past weekend I read a thread about how some experience transfer rate drops with their WiFi, and since I experience the same effects when moving into a 'particular' room in the house I followed someone's suggestion of turning Selective Suspend off in the Marvell WiFi adapter settings. I completely forgot I made the change until about 30 minutes ago and returned the setting to enabled. As soon as I did I rebooted and now my battery is up to 89% and still charging.

The only concern I read about by making this change is the possibility of consuming the charge faster, apparently on my sp2 it just prevents the battery from fully charging somehow.

Don't know about Selective Suspend, but it appears disabling it adversely affected battery charging. Strange, but not stranger than other reported SP2 odd behaviors.

What I have done to minimize the WiFi disruptions is to uncheck the box labeled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the "Power Management" tab of the Marvell AVASTAR driver dialog. (Device Manager/Network adapters/...)

It doesn't appear that this change costs a lot re: battery power. It sure is helpful to keep WiFi up and running.