What's new

Battery/Connected Standby Problem

Ceasar

Hi,

I bought my Surface Pro 3 a few months ago, and everything has worked fine. But last week I noticed the Surface won't go into hibernation mode after turning off the screen, because when I powered on the computer in the morning, it showed me the battery icon instead of the lockscreen, despite the battery was more than 50%. It also seems the battery was draining faster than usually.

Therefore I did a battery report a few days ago, and today again. See the relevant results:

Battery Report 1.png

Battery Report 2.png

It turns out that Connected Standby drains the battery really fast. I don't know why, and also don't know what to do. I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you run the SleepStudy? Something is probably running when it should be sleeping.
Powercfg /Sleepstudy

Armin

I had the same problem. A software update from Microsoft seems to the problem. I deinstalled an update found on the buttom of the list of installed updates. The update is a separated entry at the end of the list. Since this update my surface didn't leave conected standby till the end of battery (as shown in you pictures). The update seems a chrismas-present from Microsoft :)

OP
C

Ceasar

I had the same problem. A software update from Microsoft seems to the problem. I deinstalled an update found on the buttom of the list of installed updates. The update is a separated entry at the end of the list. Since this update my surface didn't leave conected standby till the end of battery (as shown in you pictures). The update seems a chrismas-present from Microsoft :)

Armin, I think you're right. From what I remember, the problems started indeed after an update from Microsoft. But I don't know which update I have to deinstall. On the list are updates for Windows Defender, and Internet Explorer, but I don't think these are causing problems. Could it be the last update for Windows 8.1 for x64-systems (16 December)?

Armin

Armin, I think you're right. From what I remember, the problems started indeed after an update from Microsoft. But I don't know which update I have to deinstall. On the list are updates for Windows Defender, and Internet Explorer, but I don't think these are causing problems. Could it be the last update for Windows 8.1 for x64-systems (16 December)?
My Problem startet round about Dec. 24th. I scrolled the update-list because I didn't think, it's an Update from Defender. I found the update at the bottom of the list of installed Updates. While uninstalling something about Framework was shown. Sorry I don't know the real Name of the Update.

Armin

It could be. But the main problem in this case is something preventing Surface from entering suspend mode after 4h of connected standby. The batterydrain is "secondary". But I Don't know, when the discussed update came (mybe Germany gets it alter). Try it ...

OP
C

Ceasar

A few days ago I have installed some updates for Windows, and since then my Surface doesn't have the problem anymore. It just goes into hibernation after some time, like it did before. I barely used my Surface the last three days, and it lost only 10% battery. Maybe it was a bug in an earlier update.

a[c]e, I'm gonna watch your problem, but as Armin said, I don't think it's the same as I had.