What's new

Battery Cord Separated By Spark

RichardFey

Hey everyone, new here. Has this happened to your power cord before? I just sat down at my university to start studying for a midterm, and I plugged my charger in only to see a huge spark. Once I took a second to digest what had just happened, I saw the wire had completely separated from the battery and was smoking! I've sat at this study station many times, and have plugged this into this same socket just as much. I wanted some thoughts because I'm very hesitant to get a new one if this will happen again. Huge fire hazard.

Attachments

• PXL_20221027_135659146 (1).jpg
    PXL_20221027_135659146 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the power cord failed or was defective. There was a recall on the Surface Pro 3 power cord.

the power cord is a standard Figure 8 connector and one end and Non-polarized connector at the wall socket in the US market. outside the US market, you need a Figure 8 to whatever the standard plug in your market is.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxLLTo-Replacement-Microsoft-Surface-Charger/dp/B08JCKK5JM/ref=sr_1_10?crid=31ZTZ7G9SLCC7&keywords=surface+replacement+power+cord&qid=1666884220&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=surface+replacement+power+cord,aps,149&sr=8-10
OR

no way to tell if the power brick itself was damaged in the event.

oh, by the way, the spark would have been caused by the cord separation not the other way around.

Last edited:
OP
R

RichardFey

Looks like the power cord failed or was defective. There was a recall on the Surface Pro 3 power cord.

the power cord is a standard Figure 8 connector and one end and Non-polarized connector at the wall socket in the US market. outside the US market, you need a Figure 8 to whatever the standard plug in your market is.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxLLTo-Replacement-Microsoft-Surface-Charger/dp/B08JCKK5JM/ref=sr_1_10?crid=31ZTZ7G9SLCC7&keywords=surface+replacement+power+cord&qid=1666884220&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=surface+replacement+power+cord,aps,149&sr=8-10
OR

no way to tell if the power brick itself was damaged in the event.

oh, by the way, the spark would have been caused by the cord separation not the other way around.
Thanks for your reply. I got this as a gift recently, and I checked the recall on the power cord and mine didn't qualify.

Best