What's new

Battery Degradation

iPads do not even offer the functionality to view these statistics, but that doesn't mean they behave differently. As I previously stated, and as you clearly ignored, every device that uses a Li-Ion battery is subjected to battery wear. The battery wears, and it then requires recalibration. Depending on usage, you will also require recalibration more or less frequently.

Furthermore, iPads are basically the most casual devices on the market after the common iPhone. I bet that most iPad users will be shocked to hear that their battery capacity decreases over time with usage, so how can they be expected to complain about something they have never heard of? Again, this does not mean the phenomenon does not exist - simply that you are ignorant to it.
For better or worse, the Surface will inevitably be compared to an iPad, Microsoft's own commercials pit it against a Mac Book, iPad, & notepad. In this very thread we had a gentleman point out that this is only an issue with his Surface & he doesn't even know if he would need to do this to his iPad. I'm not disagreeing with the tendencies of batteries. Nor does my opinion have anything to do with physics. However, since Gen 1 of the surface, many users have complained about battery efficiency, this includes the ipad-esque RT. I have yet to ever hear an iPad user complain of this.

My arguments have nothing to do with whether this is right or wrong, but if you plan on marketing this as an "all things Appke" killer you either a) don't include this erratic statistic, or b) provide the proper education as so many of you advocate.

This whole "it's like that because it just is" argument some wonderfully pleasant people in this thread have utilized is exactly why Microsoft has flopped with this hipster generation. Technology is no longer reserved for the IT crowd, it hasn't been for years. Apple products sell because they just work. Go to an Apple forum, threads like this don't exist.

I hate all things Apple, think they're overpriced and infective. But, they have the marketing and mindset right.

Liam2349

For better or worse, the Surface will inevitably be compared to an iPad, Microsoft's own commercials pit it against a Mac Book, iPad, & notepad. In this very thread we had a gentleman point out that this is only an issue with his Surface & he doesn't even know if he would need to do this to his iPad. I'm not disagreeing with the tendencies of batteries. Nor does my opinion have anything to do with physics. However, since Gen 1 of the surface, many users have complained about battery efficiency, this includes the ipad-esque RT. I have yet to ever hear an iPad user complain of this.

My arguments have nothing to do with whether this is right or wrong, but if you plan on marketing this as an "all things Appke" killer you either a) don't include this erratic statistic, or b) provide the proper education as so many of you advocate.

This whole "it's like that because it just is" argument some wonderfully pleasant people in this thread have utilized is exactly why Microsoft has flopped with this hipster generation. Technology is no longer reserved for the IT crowd, it hasn't been for years. Apple products sell because they just work. Go to an Apple forum, threads like this don't exist.

I hate all things Apple, think they're overpriced and infective. But, they have the marketing and mindset right.

To quote what I told you just a few short minutes ago "iPads do not even offer the functionality to view these statistics, but that doesn't mean they behave differently. As I previously stated, and as you clearly ignored, every device that uses a Li-Ion battery is subjected to battery wear. The battery wears, and it then requires recalibration. Depending on usage, you will also require recalibration more or less frequently."

To quote what I told you just a few short minutes ago "Furthermore, iPads are basically the most casual devices on the market after the common iPhone. I bet that most iPad users will be shocked to hear that their battery capacity decreases over time with usage, so how can they be expected to complain about something they have never heard of? Again, this does not mean the phenomenon does not exist - simply that you are ignorant to it."

If you feel the need to complain about having additional features that other devices do not have, then I suggest you simply do not use them. They are very easy to ignore - something you appear very good at. Why you cannot stretch this skill to ignoring software features as well as information on forums, I do not know.

If you would like to ask any further questions, please do check to see that I didn't answer them a few minutes prior.

Again, missing the point. This egotistical approach is exactly why folks hate Microsoft users in today's world. Grow up, it's a new world. Listening to all facets of an argument will make the operating system better. Including useless, inaccurate reports is not a benefit. You may consider them hidden from the common user, but the common user will run across it from the complaints in several forums. Get over yourself, you aren't some guru, and Ronny represents the user base I continue to refer to.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Another point in this argument....Current MBAs and MBPs are struggling with WiFi issues as well utilizing 802.11AC apparently for the same reason (Intel's PCIe Bus), but unless you have skills in Unix there is no diagnosing and fixing it, in Windows while a novice is perfectly capable of utilizing the tools and steps given by the wider community.

Liam2349

Again, missing the point. This egotistical approach is exactly why folks hate Microsoft users in today's world. Grow up, it's a new world. Listening to all facets of an argument will make the operating system better. Including useless, inaccurate reports is not a benefit. You may consider them hidden from the common user, but the common user will run across it from the complaints in several forums. Get over yourself, you aren't some guru, and Ronny represents the user base I continue to refer to.

I'm not sure how you determined my age or egotistical nature, and I do not recall claiming to be a 'guru', but these reports are far from useless. I generate them on a regular basis and they are very useful to me, because I am a fairly competent Windows user, and that's all you need to be - fairly competent. Anything less, and the reports mean nothing to you. In this case, as stated several times already, you can simply ignore this functionality.

Chris Grew

Given up reading all the posts as there is a little to much of tit for tat arguments going on!

As an electronics engineer let me give you some simple information.

All rechargeable batteries need to be exercised. That is discharged and re charged. Old technology and to some extent even new technology gives rechargeable batteries a memory. If you discharge to 80% and charge, then do this again and again, eventually the battery will die when it gets to 80%. I hear the statements coming now from those of you technically minded, 'but modern li-ion batteries don't do that'. Well they do I'm afraid. I should now I sell enough kit with them in. Not as bad as the old technology, but nonetheless the problem is there.

Why is it that my families, iPad 1, iPad 4 and iPad Mini seem to last forever where people have problems with our SP3's?

Simple really. The use case of most iPads is different from a laptop. They are used away from the desk and without power being connected. In my household I hear the plaintiff cry from my Wife and Daughter, 'where is my iPad charger?' Because they have allowed the iPad to discharge all the way or at least almost completely discharge. Inadvertently they have done the best thing possible for the battery. That is, they have exercised it.

I am an amateur photographer and a little while ago moved over to the Olympus professional OMD EM1. I own two of these cameras and the biggest problem if you are shooting a wedding is how few photos you can take from one battery. (My Nikon D3S and D3X could take 2,000 photos on one battery!) Typically most people get 300 ish from one battery. I, however get about 500, a significant percentage increase. Why? You will have already guessed that I make sure my battery is dead before replacing it. The increase was fairly much instant after the 2nd full discharge and charge.

What this all means is we have to be a bit more mindful with any laptop and perhaps more so with the SP3 to exercise the battery.

For me it works fairly simply. The SP3 is plugged into the mains all day I am in the office and during the evening in my study at home. I then take it to bed, were I catch up on forums such as this, facebook and other bits. When I get up in the morning and before I go to the office, I connect the SP3 to my external monitor and plug in my 4 way USB adapter, but leave the power supply off. When the power gets down to warning levels I plug it back in. Easy peasy!

Best regards

Chris

ptrkhh

Why is it that my families, iPad 1, iPad 4 and iPad Mini seem to last forever where people have problems with our SP3's?
Add the fact that nobody cares about iPad's battery life. An iPad that lasts 3 days wont bother you if it lasts 2 days (33% decrease), while the same degradation would mean a lot for our SP3s (7 to 4.5 hours). The thing is, people use iPad just 2-4 hours a day, since they have to use a separate laptop for other uses. Meanwhile, we use our SP3 for everything every time everywhere. And the fact that people charge their iPad every 2-3 days would mean their iPads only have undergone half as many cycles as our SP3s, hence the degradation.

VickiFL

The tech at the Microsoft Store told me I could leave my SP3 plugged in all the time, and it would not hurt the battery.

grumpy

The tech at the Microsoft Store told me I could leave my SP3 plugged in all the time, and it would not hurt the battery.
It is really six of one and half a dozen of the other. Keeping it fully charged will cause degradation but so does using it. Fast charging causes heat and battery wear, and the heat generated by SP3 further degrades battery performance.

It would be nice to have a user replaceable battery which would decrease the anxiety of battery wear, but these devices are essentially disposable not really intended to be used for much more than two years. Of course, my SP1 is still going strong...

Keep it charged, discharge it daily, try to keep it at 80%... Doesn't likely matter in the long run. Any theoretical longevity increase will likely be outweighed by the inconvenience of some convoluted maintenance strategy. Just use it how you want to.

Ask ten people about battery charging and you will get ten different answers.