What's new

battery drain 10 % per day in full shutdown

knreddy

I have purchased unknowingly (i.e. unknowing the bad experiences of some of the surface 4 pro owners ) Surface pro 4 on 20.10.2017 with Windows Pro 64bit v 1703 System UEFI 107.1741.768 believing Microsoft great reliable company.

Most of the following are tried based on automated advise of global customer care to search in surfacedotcom before contacting Tech guy.
1) I had disabled fast start up... and then disabled hibernation but That didn't help.
("Power Options" >choose what the power button does > change settings that are currently unavailable)

2) I have windows hello disabled, but That didn't help (Further that shouldn't matter anyway since I'm shutting it down, not sleeping. Method: go to 'change account settings' from the start menu. Then to sign in options. There you will see hello and I just had to hit the 'remove' button. restart)

3) I disabled connected standby through regedit..that didn't help.
(Run Registry Editor (regedit)> Navigate to the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
>Change the value for CsEnabled from 1 to 0.)

4) change in Intel Management Engine Interface" driver v11 , go into device manager and in the power management tab for this device uncheck the option that allows windows to power it down to save power. I tried that and it didn't help.

5) I have downgraded Intel Management Engine Interface driver from v11 to v9.5 by uninstalling the existing v11x from device manager and installing (manually choosing)v9.5 (2014) which was downloaded from intel site but that didn't help.

6) Shut Down, keep type cover or wait 10 minutes then remove Type Cover from tablet but that didn't help.

7) all devices like cameras, wifi, audio, bluetooth etc are disabled at uefi bios but that didn't help.

8 ) open cmd as an admin, and run the following command - bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes but that didn't help.

9) I put it in hibernate instead of shutdown, it consumed 1%more than shutdown*

10) Shift + shutdown tried, but that didn't help.

11) Shutdown.exe /s /t 3 /c "full shutdown" tried , but that didn't help.

12) I have installed Windows 8.1 from image from xda and tried above equivalents but didn't help. (before this i cloned my disk image with EUSEUS To Do Backup Free edition and copied the back up to PC later restored with its USB emergency bootable disk)

13) Control panel > "Power Options" >choose what the power button does > select shutdown for all,
Control panel > "Power Options" >choose when turn off the display >select never for both "change advanced power settings" look around and find "battery", click on "+" and more options will appear. * look for "critical battery action" and then in the "+"select *shut down on all (while updating drivers this switches to hibernation or from factory defaults settings ) , at processor power management maximum processor state set 75% on plugged and unplugged and cooling policies look around in the same place, it's in the "Show settings that are unavailable". but didn't help.

14) When my PC sleeps on my battery power, My Network connection disconnect from network set to :Always but that did not help in shutdown

15) I tried to downgrade UEFI firmware , it downgrades driver in Windows but not real UEFI, no such crack exists (getting some clue from forum that while being solved the sleep issues Microsoft might have unintentionally created this)

I've never seen any new device even with Intel Skylake processors (whom Microsoft Blames) a battery loose power in shut-down mode , at least without any control in BIOS or UEFI to stop it. why it powers on from shutdown on single click instead of press and hold power button few seconds of conventional method.

However Microsoft solved/ brought to acceptable level of Battery drain in sleep / hibernation.

Battery Drain in full Shutdown at the rate of 10% per day is very huge and it is not yet solved. It is a big problem for every body and particularly for rarely using people / journeys, as charging schedule is to be maintained to compensate battery drain for availability and to keep the battery healthy. Most of the other laptops use UEFI or BIOS from Award or AMI, which has large number of options, even to control power in Shutdown whereas UEFI of Microsoft has very few options, there may be the problem. I believe Microsoft EUFI , which has created its own UEFI without much experience on BIOS like Award or AMI and proprietary customisations , proprietary drivers may be culprits [ e.g. one option available in some other tablets , I have seen solving the problem , by enter into UEFI bios, Go to utility setup>power>advanced cpu control>boot performance mode> select Max Battery , and utility setup>power>MRD FLD03 power management> select enable this had reduced the power consumption in full shutdown from 5 % to less than 0.5 % per day. Unless Microsoft fixes through properly coded firmware if no hardware problem exist or we / Microsoft install a physical switch on battery terminal wire with a low power consumption and low leakage diode for charging in physical switch in off condition, cannot be solved.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ugh, TL;DR you might have to RESET or Reinstall to get back to a known starting point you've fiddled with so many things I wouldn't attempt sorting through it all.

Did you ever run Powercfg /sleepstudy to determine what is happening?

How about Shift Shutdown?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You say it's a big problem for everyone, but that's certainly not my experience. If I were having this issue I'd just contact Microsoft. You seem to have put an awful lot of work in when it could possibly just have taken no more than 5 minutes on live chat for a warranty replacement.

BubbaUK

Just as a data point, I get this on the Surface Book, about 20% per day lost, but only if I shut the lid immediately after shutdown. If I keep the lid open for a few minutes before closing it, power drain is significantly less (maybe 2% per day). Weird and very annoying.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just as a data point, I get this on the Surface Book, about 20% per day lost, but only if I shut the lid immediately after shutdown. If I keep the lid open for a few minutes before closing it, power drain is significantly less (maybe 2% per day). Weird and very annoying.

Is it really shut down if the firmer scenario? Just wondering if closing the lid makes the tablet want to sleep/hibernate and windows gets confused. I know I've experienced similar with my sp4 occasionally, and I'll pull it out of my bag to find it in sleep rather than powered off.

BubbaUK

Yes, definitely on full shut down. It took me a year to figure it out. Very annoying - every time I left my SBook for any length of time I'd come back to a completely dead battery (both in the keyboard and tablet). Not good for the longevity of the device as these batteries don't like to go completely flat.

Several people reported having the identical issue on webs and someone noticed that if you leave the lid up for a while after shutdown, battery drain is significantly less severe. Weird & inexplicable, but true.

Apologies for the digression, I hope the OP gets his power drain issue resolved.

OP
K

knreddy

Wow! How does anyone "unknowingly" purchase anything???
Sorry for my English and delay in clarification. Generally I gather good information about any product before purchase like user reviews, expert reviews, critics reviews, tech specifications, ease of repair , existing problems, limitations , service center accessibility etc. but in this case i have purchased without much research, unusual battery drain in shutdown is also already a popular problem in Surface 4 series which I had missed before purchase.
Regards

Last edited:
OP
K

knreddy

You say it's a big problem for everyone, but that's certainly not my experience. If I were having this issue I'd just contact Microsoft. You seem to have put an awful lot of work in when it could possibly just have taken no more than 5 minutes on live chat for a warranty replacement.
In fact I have contacted my local dealer , he directed to Microsoft India service senior person , this man directed me to Global Service Center , but the Global Service Center kept me lot of waiting with in between advise to refer surfacedotcom etc. So i have searched all the probable solutions available on surfacedotcom and tried them all and put together , so in future no one need to try them, as old solutions may not work with new hardware / firmware/ Windows versions.

After repeated attempts i was able to contact Microsoft Global Tech person, he taken my surface tab in remote mode and tried to update from Windows 10 V1703 to V1709 , but at the end error message appears and updation does not take place (24 to 29 th Dec 2017) . Now they advised me on 01.12.2017 to do Surface Recovery through Surface Image download , accordingly I have tried , now It is not booting at all as on 02.12,2017. I expect they will contact me on Monday (04.12.2017) for further process.