What's new

Battery Drain after Shutdown

mi2trac

Well, I too have this battery drain issue with my SP4. I have tried all of the above and still get a drain of about 8% over 12 hours. I wish Microsoft would address this issue. Does the later versions of the Pro have this issue?

James Birke

For now, it may be helpful for you to have a desktop shortcut for your full shutdown.

HOW TO CREATE A CUSTOM FULL SHUTDOWN SHORTCUT

1) On the desktop, right-click New, Text Document. Double-click on the new document.
2) Type the command
Code:
shutdown /s /f /t 0
3) Save As ShutdownFull.bat, type: All Files

An shortcut will appear on the desktop. Double-click to run

View attachment 9093

View attachment 9092

Thanks for this. I tried this code but didn't work. All I got was the command screen flashed on and off and nothing else happened. My surface goes from 100% to not starting in two days. I have downloaded and installed the latest firmware. Still waiting for that silver bullet.My grandson, who is an expert at dealing with this kind of stuff, wonders if it might need a new battery.

Jim

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear you might need a new battery, Jim.

Meanwhile, the ShutdownFull.bat file which should be on your Desktop should work. The file should have the shutdown command as above as the only line of the file.

mi2trac

Sorry to hear you might need a new battery, Jim.

Meanwhile, the ShutdownFull.bat file which should be on your Desktop should work. The file should have the shutdown command as above as the only line of the file.
Did not work for me as well. Ran the bat file acted like a "shutdown" but still had the drain.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The batch file only shuts down the computer in a convenient way. It is not intended to change battery behavior.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t know if your battery is okay. There should not be a significant drain when the computer is powered down.

mi2trac

I don’t know if your battery is okay. There should not be a significant drain when the computer is powered down.
Using the batch file for shut down I see an 8% to 10% battery drain in a 24 hour period on my SP4. So the question is what would cause this drain? It is very annoying to leave the SP4 set idle (no charge, not used) for two weeks and find a totally dead battery.

I guess the other question is what is considered a significant battery drain?

Me and my wife each have our own SP4 device. Both i5, one 256 other 128GB. I don't get any battery drain whatsoever (256GB) and she gets bout 15% in 24h which is crazy. I tried everything, but nothing seems to work. Both devices are over two years old.

mi2trac

Me and my wife each have our own SP4 device. Both i5, one 256 other 128GB. I don't get any battery drain whatsoever (256GB) and she gets bout 15% in 24h which is crazy. I tried everything, but nothing seems to work. Both devices are over two years old.
Turned my SP4 on today after setting 5 days (fully shut down). Battery was down to 32%. That is a 13.6% battery drain per day.

My processor is an I5 6300 running at 2.40 GHz with 4GB ram and 120GB SS drive. I suppose it could be the processor type. Let me know which I5 processors you have?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
A serious problem ...

Dumb question from me to all with this trouble: Have you verified that your Surface is completely shut down, by checking that keys do not light up when you press them?

mi2trac

A serious problem ...

Dumb question from me to all with this trouble: Have you verified that your Surface is completely shut down, by checking that keys do not light up when you press them?
Totally shutdown. Issue is with or without the keyboard attached.