What's new

Battery Drain after Shutdown

jeffrodrig

Since mine has the 128Gb SS drive and your 128Gb SS drive unit also has the issue, I wonder if it has something to do with the SS drive? I also wonder if others with the same battery drain issue have the same SS drive?

I don't think it's an issue regarding which SS drive is in the unit. My Surface Pro 4 has a 256GB SS drive, and it has the very same battery drain issue.

mi2trac

In my case, I don't use a docking station or a wired ethernet connection. Furthermore, the battery drain happens regardless of whether or not the SP4 keyboard is attached.
Same here. No dock, with or without the keyboard.

I did find out how to run a battery report at the command prompt "powercfg/batteryreport" that provides several days of information in a html format, but not sure how to read or what to look for that would indicate a bad or good battery.

Thoughts?

mi2trac

Ran a 2nd battery report after setting with no activities for 2 days. The report shows the battery loss, but no indication as to why. I guess these units have failing batteries. See attached battery report. Note zip format, html will not upload.

Attachments

• battery-report 2 2-5-19.zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 628
OP
N

next_milenium

Welcome to the party. Just joking.

My i5 128GB SP4 is also experiencing battery drain after full shutdown. Mine is about 4-5% per 24 hour period.

I've tried pretty much everything under the sun including full reset.

At this point, I see no hope.

mi2trac

Welcome to the party. Just joking.

My i5 128GB SP4 is also experiencing battery drain after full shutdown. Mine is about 4-5% per 24 hour period.

I've tried pretty much everything under the sun including full reset.

At this point, I see no hope.
Is this a battery replacement party? :)

kristalsoldier

Hi all....

I have to add my voice to this too. I have been experiencing deteriorating battery life recently, including this draining of the battery when shutdown. Among other things, last morning, when I was at work, the SP4 shut down after ~3.5 hours of work where "work" involved using a Word document (backing up to OneDrive), Edge open with 2 tabs and connected to my work WiFI network. I have also tried to reset but with no positive results. Ran an energy report yesterday. See attached file.

Now I am thinking that perhaps after 2-odd years the SP4 battery has degraded to a point where either it has to be replaced or I buy a new machine.

Edit: Notice in the report that USB issue. I looked it up. Apparently, it is a relatively common issue and has been for a while. Also updated a battery report. There seems to a noticeable degradation of the battery going by this report.

Attachments

• Energy Report 2_19.pdf
    111.6 KB · Views: 737
  • Battery Report_9_2_2019.pdf
    269.9 KB · Views: 684
Last edited:

Surface49

I have the same issue with my Surface Pro 4. I haven't taken the time to do the math, but it is probably > 10% a day. I'm an IT professional, so trust me, I know how to fully shut it down. :)

This is already my third Surface Pro 4 - the last two were replaced at no charge due to battery issues. Unfortunately, the warranty period has now expired. Microsoft is either clueless about the issue, or being quiet about it. When I took in to the NYC Microsoft Store, a "technician" offered no solution other than trading it in for newer model.

sfhappy

I have a SP6, i5, 128gb and for the past few days I've had significant battery drain after shutdown with the ac power cord unattached from the SP6. For example, today, I 'Shut down' my SP6 and removed the ac power cord. Two hours later I attached the ac power cord, powered up, and had a 24% power drain. Any suggestions on what I can do to determine the cause of this will be greatly appreciated.

OP
N

next_milenium

I have a SP6, i5, 128gb and for the past few days I've had significant battery drain after shutdown with the ac power cord unattached from the SP6. For example, today, I 'Shut down' my SP6 and removed the ac power cord. Two hours later I attached the ac power cord, powered up, and had a 24% power drain. Any suggestions on what I can do to determine the cause of this will be greatly appreciated.

If you are still under warranty, try your best to get it replaced with a new one. With SP4, this issue was never fixed and I won't be surprised if they can't fix this issue with SP6.
Good luck!

joeblow7777

I'm have a similar problem with my Surface Laptop 2 lately. About 25% lost overnight while shutdown. What the heck is going on and what am I supposed to do about it?