What's new

Battery drain, possible due to USB Selective Suspend=

Expecho

Hi there,

I have some problems with my device, the biggest being the battery life. When using it for only browsing it keeps up for about 5.5 hours then it is empty. Since I do use a mircoSD card I always fully shutdown my tablet. It's up to date with all firmware and windows updates applied. When running powercfg /energyreport I get 1 or 2 errors, depending on whether my Type Cover 2 is attached or not. When not attached I only get the first record in the tables below, otherwise I get two. Does this error indicate an (hardware) errors that can affect battery life and if so, what can I do about it?

Best regards,

Peter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USB onderbreken:USB-apparaat wordt niet selectief
onderbroken

Voor dit apparaat is de status USB selectief
onderbroken niet geactiveerd. Energiebeheer voor de processor wordt mogelijk
verhinderd als dit USB-apparaat niet selectief wordt onderbroken. Dit verhindert
niet dat het systeem in de slaapstand gaat.

Apparaatnaam Samengesteld USB-apparaat
Hostcontroller-id PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C31
Locatie van hostcontroller PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
Apparaat-id USB\VID_1286&PID_2044
Pad van poort 2

USB onderbreken:USB-apparaat wordt niet selectief
onderbroken

Voor dit apparaat is de status USB selectief
onderbroken niet geactiveerd. Energiebeheer voor de processor wordt mogelijk
verhinderd als dit USB-apparaat niet selectief wordt onderbroken. Dit verhindert
niet dat het systeem in de slaapstand gaat.

Apparaatnaam Samengesteld USB-apparaat
Hostcontroller-id PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C31
Locatie van hostcontroller PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
Apparaat-id USB\VID_045E&PID_0799
Pad van poort 3

GoodBytes

Your web browser affects your battery life. Chrome is more power hungry. Try Firefox or IE11 desktop.
You can also try Ad-Block-Plus add-on for Firefox and block ads. Many ads are in poorly made in Flash (many times it's designers making them, not programmers), which are CPU taxing.
If you use the add-on, I do encourage to put to site that you visit often and participate in, part of the white list to block ads, to support them. They need income to be able to bring food on their table and continue to operate and provide you content you like and support.

Also, watching videos in your web session, also reduces battery life. Lastly, you have to consider the brightness of the screen, and if you have any Bluetooth connected devices which all consumer more power.

As for the report. I can't read German. But if they are warnings, I have 1 on my side, same Hostcontroller. I have identify it as being the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host controller - 0100 (Microsoft)
I have no errors with my Type Cover 2 when I do powercfg -report command.

Here is my full report.
http://www.helpweaver.com/energy-report.html

Without changing your setup, the warnings may increase and decrease in number. Errors should not.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

@GoodBytes...on the subject of browsers and your recommendation to use IE11 (desktop), would you say that the Modern UI version of IE11 is also power hungry? How to check this?

Jasmine

That might be normal battery life.
I get around 3.5 hours, maybe closer to 4 on a good day and I use Firefox.

GoodBytes

@GoodBytes...on the subject of browsers and your recommendation to use IE11 (desktop), would you say that the Modern UI version of IE11 is also power hungry? How to check this?
ModernUI apps uses the GPU to render its interface. While normally it's good, and that is what you want. Sadly, it's a bit too much for Intel integrated graphics.
It's not a drastic battery difference, but I want you to get the max as a starting point.

Another thing you can do is set the device to Power Saver power plan, and set the in plan advance settings, the maximum and minimum processor state (see under "Processor Power Management"), to 0% to force the CPU at 750MHz.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

ModernUI apps uses the GPU to render its interface. While normally it's good, and that is what you want. Sadly, it's a bit too much for Intel integrated graphics.
It's not a drastic battery difference, but I want you to get the max as a starting point.

Another thing you can do is set the device to Power Saver power plan, and set the in plan advance settings, the maximum and minimum processor state (see under "Processor Power Management"), to 0% to force the CPU at 750MHz.

Thanks.

I would be surprised if Metro IE used more battery life than Desktop IE.

IE uses acceleration in both modes. In fact, the GPU is always used ever since Vista days. But Metro IE is more strict when suspending JavaScript timers. etc.

GoodBytes

Anyway, try and see. I mean don't use Chrome, using something else.
I was just being safe when I said desktop version

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In Microsoft's on internal/external testing Modern UI Apps typically use between 20-30% less battery than Win32 equivalents.....mainly due to the use of WinRT and the ability to use Managed or Native Code (now open to all developers using the new Native Compiler).

Philtastic

Yeah, I find Modern UI apps, particularly IE and Video, use up to 30-50% less battery than desktop programs, most notably VLC player, in the rough comparison that I'm making.

OP
E

Expecho

I only use the metro internet explorer browser, so that should be ok.

I wonder what devices causes the errors, hard to tell.