What's new

Battery Drain ?

bradl79

why would i get battery drain in Hibernation mode, i thought, it just saves the spot and shuts everything down, i always put it in hibernation mode, mainly bc of the issues waking from standby, but i noticed i was at 100% and then after 1hr and half, turning the surface back on, i was at 97% and even noticed if i didn't use it overnight or anything it was at like 70 or something, i know its not on b/c i will open and touch the keyboard and stuff and the light in my usb hub will turn off, if i just do a shut down, i notice there is no drain.

mva5580

These things have battery drain issues....that's just how it is right now.

Hopefully it's fixed in the near future, MS has stated they will be releasing an update for it.

DavidZ

why would i get battery drain in Hibernation mode, i thought, it just saves the spot and shuts everything down, i always put it in hibernation mode, mainly bc of the issues waking from standby, but i noticed i was at 100% and then after 1hr and half, turning the surface back on, i was at 97% and even noticed if i didn't use it overnight or anything it was at like 70 or something, i know its not on b/c i will open and touch the keyboard and stuff and the light in my usb hub will turn off, if i just do a shut down, i notice there is no drain.

I agree, you should not be getting that much battery loss during hibernation. You're correct, in terms of battery use, hibernation is the same as shut down.

My guess is that you're not in hibernation the whole time. How does your SP4 shut down? Are you using the default battery settings?

Kroywen

I have the same issue. It's something to do with the keyboard draining battery even while the tablet is either off or in hibernation. If you disconnect the keyboard after hibernating/shutting down there will be little or no drain. This was posted on the answers.microsoft.com site so I'm assuming there will be a firmware fix at some point.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the same issue. It's something to do with the keyboard draining battery even while the tablet is either off or in hibernation. If you disconnect the keyboard after hibernating/shutting down there will be little or no drain. This was posted on the answers.microsoft.com site so I'm assuming there will be a firmware fix at some point.

I never have my keyboard attached at night as i use it as a tablet. Both the sp4 and s3 will have lost between 30-100% of their charge when turned off for the night (turned off meaning sleep or hibernate, not shut down)

OP
B

bradl79

I never have my keyboard attached at night as i use it as a tablet. Both the sp4 and s3 will have lost between 30-100% of their charge when turned off for the night (turned off meaning sleep or hibernate, not shut down)
thank u, that makes sense, i will try that

DavidZ

I did some experiments with the keyboard attached and some experiments with the keyboard detached and came up with the following observations.
  1. When I put my SP4 directly into hibernation without the keyboard attached (in tablet mode), there's essentially no battery loss.
  2. When I put my SP4 directly into hibernation without the keyboard attached (in tablet mode) and then attach the keyboard, there's essentially no battery loss.
  3. When I put my SP4 directly into hibernation with the keyboard attached (in PC mode), there's battery loss.

OP
B

bradl79

I did some experiments with the keyboard attached and some experiments with the keyboard detached and came up with the following observations.
  1. When I put my SP4 directly into hibernation without the keyboard attached (in tablet mode), there's essentially no battery loss.
  2. When I put my SP4 directly into hibernation without the keyboard attached (in tablet mode) and then attach the keyboard, there's essentially no battery loss.
  3. When I put my SP4 directly into hibernation with the keyboard attached (in PC mode), there's battery loss.

so it appears to be the stupid keyboard then, i may go bluetooth then until its fixed, i already have a glass screen protector on it already and a protection package too, so not too worried about screen yet

DavidZ

Just detach the keyboard and hibernate when you're done.

I primarily use it as a tablet and the power button is set to hibernate. So, I just hit the power button when I'm done. Even if I put it down without hitting the power button, it's set to hibernate after 5 minutes of sleep.