What's new

Battery issues only on Surface PRO 3?

Turbo4AWD

Even though I showed up late to the Surface 3, everything got CONSIDERABLY better after the first few firmware updates that were released. Then the Anniversary Update did miracles and my Surface 3 is extremely enjoyable now.

I haven't witnessed the quality issues, that people have reported here, and if I have, the firmware update fixed the issue for me. I have some pixels showing up spots, but it's not consistant. The issue goes away eventually and I have not seen the issue return for weeks now.

I have the surface pen, typecover, and Surface 3 4gb ram model and do not have any complaints yet.

Again, I am gauging my expectations because an Atom processor can only do so much with 4gb ram and my Surface 3 has exceeded my expectations for replacing an iPad Air. I'll never go back. Especially since my iPad always got "...not available on mobile device..." whenever I wanted to watch a video or listen to an audio clip...

Turbo4AWD

Yes, but the simple answer is that noone is complaining about any S3 battery issues like was done with the SP3, hence microsoft not having said anything. And build quality is fantastic on surface devices. It is quality control leading to inconsistencies that can be of issue.

Right? That's my thinking. It was SEVERAL Surface Pro 3 users and became a major public concern which Surface 3 battery issues have not reached that level. Apparently very few Surface 3 users experience battery issues.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
In one regard you were right: It's not the build quality that's an issue. However, it's not quality control either.

The main issues I see people mention here and basically everywhere Microsoft stuff is discussed is: a device is perfect when the customer receives it. Only after months issues start to surface... Screen flickering, type covers not working, lots of highlighted pixels in the screen (had that twice in about half a year now), Surface book bent etc etc

And such complaints are not representative. That is how the world works. People will go out of their way to state about issues they have, but will rarely go out of their way to simply say their is just fine.

I have an SP3, S3, and SP4 all from launch. None have displayed any issues worth writing home about, nothing like you describe. They're as good as the day they were delivered. It is quality control and the resulting consistency. Nothing more. If the issues were as widespread as you suggest, the surface lines wouldn't be as successful as they are. I certainly wouldn't buy one if it was as you describe, but I've bought 3, and found it is not as you describe.

And my personal opinion, all these people complaining their device has bent while in a bag overnight etc, it's nonsense. They damaged their device, and now want free replacements so make out as if it magically deformed itself. Nonsense imo.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Wow! Guys....

First of all let me state: I am still very happy with my Surface 3. I got the one with LTE, 4GB RAM and 64GB HDD added a Type Cover, screen protector and a Surface Pro 4 Pen. But then again, I sometimes am somewhat worried. I bought the tablet beginning of this year. So far...
I have had the Type Cover replaced because it was not working at times. I have had the issue with my screen. And I've had that issue twice :( Next to that the LTE adapter loses connection when on HSPA+. This is an issue that quite a lot of people have and all three of my current tablets have had that issue.

I use the device with ease and it is really a great aid for doing my job. I take notes on it and use every single aspect of it!

However... if you look at for example the screen. If you put some pressure on it you see wrinkles on the screen. That happens even on the most expensive SP4 devices. If you pinch an iPad that doesn't happen.
The VaporMg may be light, but it scratches with ease. I take good care of my Surface, but my brother's SP3 is full of scratches. And I have seen how easy a scratch can occur.

I am also active member of the myWindows forum in the Netherlands. I have seen a lot of people that had to send in their device at one moment or another.
Then again: I don't know how often iPads for example have to be returned...simply because I have never owned one.

And last but not least: I do agree (and remind myself of that fact every once in a while): people do find their way to the interwebz with ease and forget to post a not when they're happy.

I am not bashing Microsoft at all...still all Microsoft here in our household. I just see that sometimes that is hard to maintain.

Turbo4AWD

....side note....Official patch to resolve all battery issues on Surface Pro 3 was released by Microsoft today. Those users shouldn't have any more issues with battery life being SUPER short.