What's new

Battery life has been very disappointing

geraldem

How has everyone's battery life been? After 2 days, I am only getting about 4 to 5 hours of battery life. Display is at 48%. I was excited about getting 10+ hours out of this device. so far, no where close.

Migi

Weird, official reviewers were getting excellent battery life. Some were getting 12-13 hours. You should post a battery report.

leeshor

After treating the SP4 pretty harshly for a day the battery life seems to be settling down. I did stop indexing all prefetch and Hyper-V.

OP
G

geraldem

Battreport.PNG

OP
G

geraldem

You can see from the above snip...started at 100%. A little over an hour later, down to 81%. I have a full battery report that shows this type of draw down. Are other running this lower than 48%?

MrRedHat

I’m not seeing very good battery life either. I have two Surface Books and both of them have been in standby most of the day. The batteries in both Surface Books went from 100% to about 50%.

redstar92

Weird, my battery life has been spot on. Way better than Surface Pro 3... I have been working all day on the computer on just battery and still getting through 9 hours or so....

OP
G

geraldem

I’m not seeing very good battery life either. I have two Surface Books and both of them have been in standby most of the day. The batteries in both Surface Books went from 100% to about 50%.
You in sleep or hibernate? I was having lots of draw on battery in sleep. hibernate helped that. But still seeing a big draw during usage.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have a look at Task Manager and Resource Monitor... sometimes you get a process that's stuck using a lot of CPU or constantly access disk etc. that may need a Thwack up side process. Indexing sometimes sticks/loops on a file... or a System Process runs amok.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on what you have installed and how much of your OneDrive you've chose to sync, it can take Windows 48-72 hours to finish indexing and optimizing which will impact battery life. I was getting 4-6 the first two days, yesterday I was on battery for 8.5 hours running from meeting to meeting.

Also, if you install Chrome it will reduce battery life by 25-50%.