What's new

Battery percentage indicator on windows not showing time to empty

samtoohey93

Hi guys,

This is a bit bizarre but battery indicator on my Pro 3 doesnt show time to empty, only percentage. It is weird because my Asus N series laptop that is my workstation DOES show the percentage.

My device is fully updated and it still doesnt show.

What am I missing??

Cheers for the help,
Sam

sdreamer

This depends by manufacturer and if it will be enabled. In Windows 8.x it will not show on Surface Pro 3's. Windows 10 seems to enable it though. The reason for this that was given years ago (cannot find reference) is to prevent users from confusing themselves with how much time they have as it does fluctuate with usage.

OP
samtoohey93

samtoohey93

That makes sense. I ask this for a surface only because I brought this the other day and my old Pro 2 had the time to empty on the percentage indicator as well. So it might be a firm ware issue I'm assuming

vxm

My old laptop (which I upgraded to Win 8.1), Lenovo Y500, had the timer, but both Thinkpad Yoga and now SP3 don't have this feature. My desktop workstation also doesn't have it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That makes sense. I ask this for a surface only because I brought this the other day and my old Pro 2 had the time to empty on the percentage indicator as well. So it might be a firm ware issue I'm assuming
It has something to do with the Connected Standby implementation which the Pro 2 doesn't have. There was/are discussions of this in the past here in the SP3 forum. Bottom line it's a dynamically changing thing subject to inaccuracies.