What's new

Battery Performance

Telstar1948

Mine follows as I stated up to a certain point. Seems like around 40% or so left on Battery 1 it then starts using Battery 2 as well.

I've let my battery completely drain and recharge. I also finally ran an powercfg/energy test and got these warnings. The power policy doesn't bother me; it's those USB warnings that do. Should I uninstall the USB drives and reinstall them? Can anyone help me figure how to fix them? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    184.4 KB · Views: 605

leeshor

I've let my battery completely drain and recharge. I also finally ran an powercfg/energy test and got these warnings. The power policy doesn't bother me; it's those USB warnings that do. Should I uninstall the USB drives and reinstall them? Can anyone help me figure how to fix them? Thanks!
Do you have a microSD card installed. That looks suspiciously like an SD card issue.

I don't have anything in the device. I've also just used the computer for 25 minutes of light usage and it's already down 4%. Do you think this would be the culprit to my battery issues? Should I take it to the Microsoft Store?

leeshor

4% in 25 minutes may not be all that bad. You need to go through 1 or 2 charge cycles before you get a good read.

flar

Thank you - got it on which is which, BUT, my Surface book uses BOTH batteries at the same time. Wish it did what you described as that would ROCK. let me grab the screen and go with a full battery unless the keyboard was depleted.

battery%20use.png

Battery 1: 81% and Battery2: 93% after about 20 minutes on battery (game playing)

That may be the culprit right there. Game playing may use more power than just the base can supply. There is a reason they give the dGPU versions of the SB a 65 watt PSU rather than the 36 watt version for the non-dGPU version. Hopefully the base battery usage was maxed out and the clipboard battery usage was just the excess. Note that the base battery is much larger, but it had higher consumption meaning that it was using way more power from the base than it was from the clipboard.

With 51Wh in the base at 81% you used 9.7 Wh from the battery in the base.
With 18Wh in the clipboard at 93% you used 1.26 Wh from the clipboard.

So, you ended up using over 7 times as much power from the base as you did from the screen.

In addition, you were using 11Wh total for 20 minutes, or 33Watts which is close to the max power of the non-dGPU PSU...

<snip> There is a reason they give the dGPU versions of the SB a 65 watt PSU rather than the 36 watt version for the non-dGPU version. <snip>

Glad we had the chat... no idea that the new Power Supply was more powerful than the old one. I have been using the Dock and left the PS in the box, but WAS going to use the spare one I had with the Surface Pro 3, but not any more... THANK YOU!!!

Niterider4

My understanding is that the 36w PS (supplied with the non-dGPU SB) will charge a non-dGPU SB under normal use, and will charge the tablet portion only of a dGPU SB under normal use. However, it is not quite enough to keep up with the dGPU, so if the 36w PS is used to charge the base of a dGPU SB, the SB batteries will gradually deplete. That is why the 65w PS is supplied with the dGPU SB's.

flar

Also, the Anandtech tests showed both batteries charging at full rate with the 65w PSU, but the base battery had to charge at a slower rate until the clipboard was done charging with the 36w PSU. They tested with an i7 SB with dGPU, but the batteries should be the same as a non-dGPU unit so hopefully any SB would charge faster (when not in use) with the higher wattage charger...