What's new

Battery Useage App

MickeyLittle

I posted this in the wrong forum earlier today. :cry:

I'm coming from Android where there are several very useful apps that will show you exactly which apps/processes are using how much of your battery by percentage.

I would love to see if I'm running any battery hogs.

tinycg

Good question, I know OS X Mavericks does this now too. I'm honestly not sure about 8.1 I'd be curious if anyone has any insights.

Zkyevolved

I'm dying for an app to tell me what eats my battery!

I have GREAT battery life, but i think it's a good way to see what your device is doing.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There won't be a Modern UI App that will be able to read the Power Management API as it isn't exposed in WinRT. All of the Modern UI Apps are "sandboxed" to prevent instability to the system and other Apps. The only way for Modern UI Apps to "talk" to each other are through pre-defined "Contracts"

The main Contracts Are:

• Share Contract - can automatically share content to and from any other app that also supports the contract.
  • Search Contract - You can use the search charm and search across different applications such as – Bing, Twitter, etc.
  • Picker Contract - allows you to get files, data, pictures from one app to another app.
  • Play To Contract - You can help your users play digital media to connected DLNA devices from within your app

Zkyevolved

There won't be a Modern UI App that will be able to read the Power Management API as it isn't exposed in WinRT. All of the Modern UI Apps are "sandboxed" to prevent instability to the system and other Apps. The only way for Modern UI Apps to "talk" to each other are through pre-defined "Contracts"

The main Contracts Are:

• Share Contract - can automatically share content to and from any other app that also supports the contract.
  • Search Contract - You can use the search charm and search across different applications such as – Bing, Twitter, etc.
  • Picker Contract - allows you to get files, data, pictures from one app to another app.
  • Play To Contract - You can help your users play digital media to connected DLNA devices from within your app

Thanks for the details.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Jeff I clicked the Like button even though I really don't like the news. lol But even though there won't be a Metro app that's no biggie if we can find a Desktop method of doing the same thing. I get that the Metro apps can't read outside of the BOX but can the Desktop read into the BOX? If it can than there should be a way to do what we're looking for here.

I just know that even now on my Android phone I sometimes start to notice my battery life varying or getting less than I expected. I can then run my GSam Battery Monitor App and it shows me in detail exactly what percentage of my battery is being used and where.

For instance right now I just checked it and it shows that I still have 65% battery left but of the 35% that has been used here is my breakdown:

phone 0.4 (I haven't talked on it since I took it off charge)
Screen 54.3 (usually higher than this)
phone radio 6.6 (some sort of tower or something)
wifi 16.5 (several downloads)
bluetooth 6.4
app usage 13.3 (this is interesting especially when I've seen it over 40-50%)

I can then click on the arrow to the right of many of the above such as app usage and it shows every app that makes up that 13.3%.

I'm sorry if this is all elementary but I figured that someone reading this thread may not have actually seen the advantages of using a battery monitoring application before.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mickey,

That same access level in Android is what opens the Platform to Malicious Apps, one study showed that upwards of 25% of the Google Play Store Apps contained Malicious Code. Android is quickly becoming the new XP for the bad guys....

Win32 programs running at the Application Level are blocked from the Sandbox as well....

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Hi Mickey,

That same access level in Android is what opens the Platform to Malicious Apps, one study showed that upwards of 25% of the Google Play Store Apps contained Malicious Code. Android is quickly becoming the new XP for the bad guys....

Win32 programs running at the Application Level are blocked from the Sandbox as well....

Thanks, that makes sense as well and we sure don't want that. Besides I'm very satisfied with the 5.5 - 7 hours that I'm getting as compared to the 3.5 - 4.5 on the Pro 1!:big smile:

Especially since the 5.5 was a one time event...