What's new

battery

bosamar

If you go to Charms Bar it will be displayed on the right bottom corner with the time and date. I you want a percentage go the Desktop taskbar and view it.

What I have been waiting for and would think there should be an app for soon, is one that monitors battery performance. I have an app called battery guru for my playbook (not seeing much action these days except from the kids) which is great for monitoring battery power with respect to time and even provides me with a .txt file for me to analyze in excel. Something like that but also is a live tile would be great.

ArnoldC

A battery app that eats battery, think I'll pass. But for kicks I might just make one.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Even the electricity meter on the side of your house "consumes" energy measuring how much your house uses, that's a part of how things work. Besides its only for testing purposes and normally not running. Make one Arnie, would love to see something in the app store so I don't have to keep track myself.

ArnoldC

Now I know why there isn't an application available...

The battery status API we can call in Win32/64 isn't exposed on WinRT. I'll investigate further if this is the case for Windows 8. But for Metro, aka Modern UI, I think I'm stuck.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Now I know why there isn't an application available...

The battery status API we can call in Win32/64 isn't exposed on WinRT. I'll investigate further if this is the case for Windows 8. But for Metro, aka Modern UI, I think I'm stuck.

Yep you beat me to it the api isn't supported in WP or RT.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Why then can the RT Desktop mode display the battery percentage?

Because that is first party Windows Desktop. That is not something available to app developers, just like they can't make apps for the desktop. MS could do it or make the APIs available since this a very highly demanded feature.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Or if they change the API access. It is also possible somebody can figure out a way to make it work but so far not yet. The jailbreak recently published might also lead to something. So never say never but it doesn't look good.