What's new

best back cover for surface pro 3 compatible with type cover

Benjicon

I have an Urban Armour Gear, its ok but you level of satisfaction will depend entirely on how you use your surface. I do a lot of illustration on my SP3 and was looking for a back cover with a sturdy kick stand so I could minimise how much I was using the original kickstand on the SP3 and in doing so extend the life of the original kickstand.

Anyone who draws on a SP3 knows that a stable kickstand makes the world of difference when working, unfortunately the UAG cover has a terribly designed kick stand, the main supporting hinge is mounted on a soft flexible piece of rubber, so when you lean your hand slightly on the screen (as you would when you draw) the stand flexes and wobbles about making it almost useless for supporting someone drawing. Its a terrible shame because its a nice cover and seems well built apart from the stand.

I spoke to UAG about this problem and their reply was "Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately our stand wasn't designed with that type of use in mind"

:(

RémiM

I spoke to UAG about this problem and their reply was "Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately our stand wasn't designed with that type of use in mind"

:(

That is exactly why marketing is so funny. They sell you cases that look like army cases, almost bullet-proof. Like if everybody was going to use their device in a war zone, while fighting, running and jumping in the sand.

But for the folks who want to use their device to draw, nope, the case was not designed for. Sure. Thank you guys. Good product indeed.

Bullet proof or not, as @mitchellvii mentioned, no case will remove the kinetic energy.

It's like having an accident with a tank in a super thick wall. The tank won't have one scratch, or almost, but the dude inside will be completely destroyed.

That is why I don't see any benefit in cases. Unless you want your SP3 to run warmer, or you think your SP3 is too light.

Nitric

Surface Pro 3 64GB - £649 ($799)
iPhone 6 Plus 64GB - £699 ($849)
Galaxy Note 4 32GB - £599
Nexus 6 64GB - £549

I'm using a i7/256gb sp3 so i assumed its definitely more expensive than a phone.

Just.

That's why I said "YMMV" (Your Mileage May Vary). But here's the thing I don't get. You pay a premium for a thin and light device then double the weight with a case? Makes no sense to me. If you are worried about scratching the surface why not just skin it? If you want to transport it why not just get a small bag with a shoulder strap? If you are worried about dropping it the kinetic energy of something this heavy hitting the floor, case or not, will likely damage it anyway. I've owned numerous tablets and laptops and have never dropped one while I've dropped my phone several times.

By putting an attached case on this you are permanently placing it in laptop weight mode. To me this defeats the whole purpose of the device for minimal benefit. Of course some people like it anyway but that doesn't prevent me giving the whole idea a 5 Star SMH.

double the weight? what sort of casing are you talking about?

Benjicon

That is why I don't see any benefit in cases. Unless you want your SP3 to run warmer, or you think your SP3 is too light.

Well, as I mentioned I draw on mine, which means the kick stand is opened to maximum and my hand rests on the screen, over the course of 3 months I noticed the hinges and mechanism which hold the kick stand on were starting to loosen. You can have the kick stand replaced and you can have the service centre tighten the hinges but you have to send the SP3 to the MS service centre.

MS engineered a device with most common uses in mind, they struck a balance between weight, durability and strength, and although the SP3 is awesome for artists to draw on, it's not the most common use and under constant use like this the stand seems to be pushed past its durability limit. Essentially all you need when drawing is a slight elevation so a replaceable kickstand/cover with a kickstand, is a great option, if you can find one that is.

uksparx

Love the case so much lighter now.

Thanks for the tip in filing of the bits by the bottom as I have the screen protector attached as well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421955358.868471.jpg

Nitric

Love the case so much lighter now.

Thanks for the tip in filing of the bits by the bottom as I have the screen protector attached as well.View attachment 5072

Dude, glad you are enjoying it. I am definitely happy with the purchase. The casing is not slippery on hand and mobile. Pretty handy to have around and the edges are also padded. Well, the casing also protect the sp3 from scratches when u put it in a bag or elsewhere.

mennogreg

I too got my trident case and loving it. Doesn't add much heft, and bonus for allowing the keyboard to fold back both ways. Heat has not been an issue (or at least it hasn't added noticeably to it), and I do a little gaming on mine.

Only detriments so far is the lack of a slot to slide in the clip of the stylus like the mobo has, but they probably figure you're likely using with keyboard and its pen loop. But would have been nice as sometimes I use mine purely as a tablet.

I also don't get why the bottom left side has its hinge tab larger than the right side's far less intrusive one.

yonghong

That is exactly why marketing is so funny. They sell you cases that look like army cases, almost bullet-proof. Like if everybody was going to use their device in a war zone, while fighting, running and jumping in the sand.

But for the folks who want to use their device to draw, nope, the case was not designed for. Sure. Thank you guys. Good product indeed.

Bullet proof or not, as @mitchellvii mentioned, no case will remove the kinetic energy.

It's like having an accident with a tank in a super thick wall. The tank won't have one scratch, or almost, but the dude inside will be completely destroyed.

Bullet proof makes me feel safe inside, I can use my Sp3 in any conditions, no worry, and I used sp3 more with UAG case than naked.