What's new

Best BackUp Solution?

sillyrabbitt123

What is the best backup solution? I moved from a MBA to this and I am happy to be here is there anything like Time Machine or better for SP2?

thanks

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

Elusive

My apologies. Didn't realise you were looking for non-cloud :) You can do targeted backups with Crashplan for what it's worth, to local disk storage, as well. They just also offer cloud based as well (which is handy if you don't trust external drives, which I don't, for example :p).

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

My apologies. Didn't realise you were looking for non-cloud :) You can do targeted backups with Crashplan for what it's worth, to local disk storage, as well. They just also offer cloud based as well (which is handy if you don't trust external drives, which I don't, for example :p).

no apologies! THANKS for the ideas and info!!

Windows 8.1 and 8.1 RT have File History: Restore files or folders using File History - Microsoft Windows Help
You will need external storage.

-is there a way to "pin" files history settings to taskbar? this way if the drive is plugged in you can hit "backup now" ?
-do you know if this backups my outlook .pst file by default? or can you set it too?

thanks

Last edited:

deldalton

Yes, Windows 8.1 File History saves to either external storage or network storage: Set up a drive for File History - Microsoft Windows Help
The option Elusive gave is cloud, by the way. ;)

oion. This is exactly what I intend to do.

I'm hoping to get a large SD card, partition it so that Windows thinks it's two separate drives, and then have it backup everything to one partition and use the other for additional storage. I'm not sure if it'll allow me to create two partitions on an SD card that Windows 8.1 will recognise though.

oion

-is there a way to "pin" files history settings to taskbar? this way if the drive is plugged in you can hit "backup now" ?
-do you know if this backups my outlook .pst file by default? or can you set it too?

thanks

In the Control Panel, go to System and Security (touch the heading). You'll see the "File History" section listed among other things. Long-press and release the "File History" heading, and you can "Pin to Start" or "Create shortcut" in the context menu (though it doesn't seem you can add this setting directly to the taskbar). Pin to Start is probably better than a desktop shortcut.

I have not yet set up my Outlook, so I can't test to see if File History does save Outlook files. Unfortunately it looks like Outlook 2013 doesn't have an easy setting for backing up either (mirroring the Outlook files into Documents would allow the Win8.1 File History to backup). The only reference I've found for this right now is here, a tad more technical.

This is even better "System Image Back up" any down side to this? its seems exactly what I was looking for ???

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup

System images are primarily to save complex/multiple software installations and the entire OS (e.g. patched, updated, with drivers), not for personal data. There are definitely advantages to creating a system image--mainly to save time after you've set everything up to your liking--but the biggest tripping point for these systems is that you MUST test the created image to see if it works. This can take a while. Most of the reviews for image backup software tend to start out with "It works great, created an image just fine" but entirely miss the point that if your system does require a reformat, the image must work. Most people never test their backup images. I don't intend on using an image for my Surface 2 because it's already a lean system and I don't have a ton of apps installed.

If you want to try the built-in system image feature, you will need larger external storage than just for file history, and you will need to take the time to actually test the created backup.