What's new

best browser for low cpu usage in Sp3

double07

MUI IE here as well. I found I have the best browsing experience on SF3. Win 8.1 seems to have good memory management, I pretty much careless how much memory it uses.

wynand32

I have seen this complain and I really don't understand what is happening because it works very will for me.

Thing is, it's intermittent. Sometimes (perhaps most of the time) it performs well. Other times, it'll sit there for minutes before responding.

Note that this also happens on my Win 8.1 desktop and my Dell Venue 8 Pro (representing two extremes in performance bracketing the SP3). So, it's most certainly not SP3-specific. That goes for all of the MUI IE issues I mentioned above.

raqball

Metro IE is ok but I've got tired of using it and have set Desktop IE as default.

Metro IE annoyances:

1) Accessing bookmarks is a pain. In desktop mode I simply have the Favorites Bar shown and I can easily access them. In Metro IE it's not very intuitive..

2) I've noticed some features do not work in Metro IE. I have a Roku and often will stream direct from YouTube on the SP3 to the Roku. With Desktop IE it works but in Metro IE it does not..

3) Metro IE never actually closes. Swipe down simply minimizes it because it still shows in task manager. This is really no big deal other than when I open it again. Now I have 2 tabs. Do it again and I have 3 tabs.. At one point, before I realized what was going on, I ended up with 7 open tabs in Metro IE. In Desktop IE, when I close it, it's closed..

dleuen

I've found that when I experience the swipe back bug (issue #3) if I just hit the Windows button to go back to the start screen, then hit the IE tile again to go back to IE, it is all refreshed and ready to go. This beats waiting the 2 minutes or whatever for it to time out and return to normal. It definitely feels like a bug that MS should be able to fix. And as much bad reputation as IE has there is no better browser for efficiency than MUI IE.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

Hi, I just want clarify that I use the IE for desktop.

What means for you MUI IE? is the internet explorer app non-desktop?

And now I have a doubt, some time for mistake I open Skype app in the apps (non desktop) and in the desktop is on by default when I start windows, and let's say I'm using an app IE and then on desktop the same IE etc etc there can be a conflict between the same apps like SKYPE/SKYPE FACEBOOK/FACEBOOK etc etc and so it is better to kill in the other windows the app if in the desktop you are using them?

I don't know how to call the non-desktop win 8.1, let's say the touchscreen part :)

wynand32

Hi, I just want clarify that I use the IE for desktop.

What means for you MUI IE? is the internet explorer app non-desktop?

And now I have a doubt, some time for mistake I open Skype app in the apps (non desktop) and in the desktop is on by default when I start windows, and let's say I'm using an app IE and then on desktop the same IE etc etc there can be a conflict between the same apps like SKYPE/SKYPE FACEBOOK/FACEBOOK etc etc and so it is better to kill in the other windows the app if in the desktop you are using them?

I don't know how to call the non-desktop win 8.1, let's say the touchscreen part :)

"MUI" means "modern UI" or the touch-based, non-desktop apps. So MUI IE is the non-desktop version of IE.

I do try to keep just one app running, either the desktop version or the MUI version. There shouldn't be any conflicts, but definitely there's extra memory and processor usage when having both open. So, for example, I don't have desktop Skype even installed, let alone running. I do keep both desktop IE and MUI IE running because I use sometimes use both for different purposes, but that's about it.

gdir

It's really a pity that the term MUI is now used as abbreviation for Modern User Interface. It has been used by Microsoft for years as abbreviation for Multilingual User Interface.